Note: This post is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by the National Football League (NFL) or any of its teams. All opinions and views expressed on our blogs are our own, not that of the NFL and/or any of its 32 teams. Any team names, logos or other symbols referenced are properties of their respective organizations. We are just big fans — and we want to share our love for our teams, the game and the food that brings us all together on game day.
My family has been enjoying these Chili Cheese Burritos for almost 2 years now! I found the original recipe on Blog Chef and have changed it slightly for our family.
Back in high school and shortly thereafter, I used to work at Taco Bell. We rarely eat there these days, but back in the day, Taco Bell was my jam. I loved their food! Over the years, their menu has changed sooo much. Do any of y'all remember the "Chilito" being on their menu?! It was a chili cheese burrito. It was rumored that they took it off the menu because of what chilito means in Spanish! 😲 Although I cannot confirm this, it never stopped the rumors! You can decide for yourself!
Nowadays, if I want a chili cheese burrito, I can easily make them at home! Personally, we love sharing them on game day - and everyone loves them! This is a mildly-seasoned chili with beef and beans. If you like it hotter, you can easily adjust the cayenne pepper or jalapeños to your liking. I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we do!
Chili Cheese Burritoby
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 2 tsp. distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. jarred jalapeño slices, minced
- 2¼ cups water
- 1 can (16 oz.) refried beans
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 large burrito-sized tortillas, warmed
- Finely chopped onion, cheddar cheese
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown and crumble the ground beef with the onion until the beef is no longer pink.
2. To the skillet, add the tomato paste, vinegar, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, jalapeño, and 2¼ cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 8-10 minutes. Carefully stir in the refried beans and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, add the cornstarch with ¼ cup of cold water and mix well. Immediately pour into the skillet with the beef mixture and stir until the mixture becomes thick.
4. Remove the skillet from the heat and immediately stir in the 2 cups of cheese.
5. To serve: Spoon ¾-1 cup of the chili mixture onto the middle of each tortilla. Top with additional onion and cheese, if desired. Roll up tortilla burrito-style and serve immediately.
Recipe slightly adapted from Blog Chef
Don't forget to pin it!
With the football season coming to a close, it’s time to start thinking about Big Game parties and inevitably, the recipes you will make and bring to yours! In preparation, I’ve teamed up with my football blogger friends in one final collaboration to bring you some brilliant Big Game recipe ideas. We’ve made appetizers, entrees, desserts and even drinks. Prepare to be inspired, and be sure to check out their links below!
- Classic Potato Salad by Celebrating Family
- Chili Cheese Burritos by Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Fruit Spring Rolls with Key Lime Cheesecake Dip by Body Rebooted
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders by Dash of Herbs
- Mediterranean Seven Layer Dip by The Culinary Compass
- Chicks in a Blanket with Apricot Sauce by Mom's Messy Miracles
- Jalapeno Pale Ale Chili by Beer Girl Cooks
- Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Bread by The Life Jolie
- Sausage Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Feast + West
- Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls by Family Food on the Table
- Mini Bacon Ranch Cheese Balls by Honey & Birch
- Cookie Dough Cheese Ball by Bread Booze Bacon
- Hawaiian Pizza Jalapeno Poppers by Love & Flour
- Meatloaf Sliders by Foodtastic Mom
- Wonton Taco Cups by A Mind Full Mom
- Pancetta and Smoked Mozzarella Arancini by The Secret Ingredient Is
- Bean and Cheese Taco Bites by The BakerMama
- Monte Cristo Poppers by See Aimee Cook
- Chile Beer Sangria by Cake 'n Knife
- Low Carb Stuffed Crust Pizza by Sustaining the Powers
- Puff Pastry Pizza Bites by The Mexitalian
- No Churn Pistachio Baklava Ice Cream by Club Narwhal
- Roasted Jalapeno Poppers by Off the Eaten Path
- Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese by Hello Little Home
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Wings by Around My Family Table
- Gluten Free Bread Sticks by What A Girl Eats
- Cheesy Beef Dip by Polka Dotted Blue Jay
- Buffalo Chicken Deviled Eggs by The Crumby Cupcake
- Greek Meatballs by Two Places at Once
- Baked Taco Empanadas by Simplify, Live, Love
- Cheese Sticks by Coffee Love Travel
- Bacon Wrapped Blue Cheese Meatballs by West via Midwest
- Puff Pastry Bacon Pizza Twists by 2 Cookin Mamas
- Skillet Chicken Queso Dip by foodbyjonister
- Spicy Sausage Rolls by Peanut Blossom
- Protein Dark Chocolate Truffles by The Creative Bite
- Chickpea Pepper Cheese Poppers by Bucket List Tummy
- Maple Cranberry Apple Sangria by Order in the Kitchen
- Meyer Lemon Shandies by The Speckled Palate
- Game Day Fried Deviled Eggs with Chow Chow Relish by For the Love of Food
- Buffalo Chicken Eggrolls by Simple and Savory
- Pastrami Nachos by A Little Gathering
- Shrimp Ceviche Dip by Glisten and Grace
- Football Bourbon Balls + Boozy Lemonade by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Apple Cider Mimosas With A Sparkly Sugar Rim by And She Cooks
- Pulled Pork Stuffed Corn Dogs by Nik Snacks
- Easy Pepperoni Rolls by Me and My Pink Mixer
- Real Boneless Chicken Wings by Macheesmo
- Califlower Tater Tots by Living Well Kitchen
- Cheeseburger Naan Pizza by Shaws Simple Swaps
- Red Velvet Ginger Rum Balls by Cafe Terra Crab Rangoon by Brunch-n-Bites
- Sweet n' Spicy BBQ Popcorn by Life's Ambrosia
- Buffalo Chicken Rolls by Loves Food, Loves to Eat
- Crowd Pleasing Steak Fajita Dip by Lizzy is Dizzy
- Sriracha Hummus Pinwheel Sandwiches by Casa de Crews
- Simlple Meatball Sub Sliders by Loaves & Dishes
- Maple-Mustard Bacon Chicken Bites by An Oregon Cottage
- Soft Pretzels with Beer Cheese & Honey Mustard Dipping Sauces by A Simpler Grace
- Ricotta Stuffed Sausage Meatballs by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen