Chili Cheese Tater Tot Casserole is an easy and super delicious casserole! Our family loves it every time we make it. Give it a try!
Chili Cheese Tater Tot Casserole
Can y’all tell that I’ve switched into full Fall cooking/baking mode? I am so ready for cooler weather – even if I have to dream about it! 🙂 I’ve been on this chili cheese kick lately …. which I’m pretty sure is a sign that the weather should cooperate with me and be more Fall-like!
Most of y’all know that chili is one of my absolutely, positively most favorite things EVER. It seems only natural that I would find ways to eat more of it, right? This Chili Cheese Tater Tot Casserole is like eating, well, chili cheese fries – but in a casserole form.
The chili cooks while the tater tots partially bake …. but if you really wanted to, you could use canned chili instead and save yourself that step – although, I highly recommend making the chili yourself. It just tastes better in my humble opinion. I did not put beans in this … but if you want to, feel free to add a can of drained and rinsed beans.
We like to have this with fruit and a salad for an easy meal. Here’s the recipe:
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1 bag (32 oz.) tater tots
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- A few shakes of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces can of water (use the empty tomato sauce can)
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sour cream (optional)
- Green onions, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange the tater tots in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble the beef with the salt, pepper and onion until the beef is no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Return the mixture to the skillet. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, tomato sauce and water to the skillet. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until it reaches your desired consistency. (I like ours the consistency of Sloppy Joe's, but make yours how you like it).
- Top the baked tater tots with the chili. Sprinkle with the cheese. Return to the oven and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
- To serve, top individual portions with sour cream and green onions, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 435mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 22g
Originally published on September 13, 2013. Updated on April 24, 2021.