Chili – Like Wendy’s is perfect for those cooler nights! Thick, hearty and full of ground beef, beans and tomatoes! It really hits the spot!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Chili – Like Wendy’s
Personally, this is one way I can get a bunch of veggies into my family without much complaint …. and my 5 year old who swears he “doesn’t like tomatoes,” will devour this chili! That’s a definite score in my book! Especially when you see how tomato-packed this chili is!
As a side note, a quarter of a cup of chili powder may sound like a lot, but you will need a bunch to counteract the amount of tomatoes in this recipe. Feel free to adjust the amount of chili powder to your family’s personal taste.
It’s worth a mention, the Chili – Like Wendy’s is an award-winning chili. It has won chili cook-offs, and people beg for the recipe! It’s that good! 🙂
- 2 lb. hamburger
- 48 oz. can tomato juice
- 29 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. white sugar
- 1/8 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, drained
- Your choice of toppings (below), optional
- In a large soup pot, cook and crumble the beef over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Return meat to the pan and place all remaining ingredients, except toppings, in the soup pot, stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Stir every 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with your choice of toppings!
Topping ideas: crackers, Fritos corn chips, cheese, sour cream, green onions, chopped white onions, jalapenos, crushed red pepper, crumbled cornbread, avocado slices, bacon, tomatoes, black olives, cilantro, lime wedges, Corn Nuts, hot sauce, cooked elbow macaroni or a few dark chocolate chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 1055mgFiber: 9gSugar: 11gProtein: 32g
Originally published on June 15, 2012. Updated on April 21, 2021.