Ditch the canned stuff for this awesome Homemade Enchilada Sauce! It’s easy to prepare, and it’s bursting with flavor. Spice up your meals!
Table of contents
Homemade Enchilada Sauce is a delicious and versatile ingredient. It can take any Mexican-inspired dish to the next level. The best part is that it’s easy to make. And, you can customize it to your taste preferences.
Also, by using fresh and natural ingredients, you can avoid the preservatives and additives that come with store-bought options.
Making your own sauce can be a cost-effective alternative to buying pre-made sauces. This homemade recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week! Or, freeze it for later use.
It can be used in a variety of dishes such as enchiladas, tacos, and burritos, or as a marinade for meats. By making your own enchilada sauce, you have complete control over the spice level. And, can experiment with different spices and flavors to make it your own.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce adds a burst of flavor to any meal. And, it can help take your dishes to the next level.
You don’t have to settle for store-bought sauce! Especially when you can easily make your own homemade enchilada sauce!
Making your own Homemade Enchilada Sauce is an easy and delicious way to add flavor and authenticity to your Mexican-inspired dishes.
Easy Enchilada Sauce: Ingredients & Equipment
To make this Homemade Enchilada Sauce, you will need …
- green bell pepper, jalapenos, and garlic – the veggies that add flavor to your sauce.
- chili powder, dried oregano, and ground cumin – the spices or seasonings that will transform this sauce into something so flavorful you will want to put it on everything!
- water and tomato sauce – the base of the sauce.
- medium saucepan and spoon/spatula – for mixing and cooking your enchilada sauce down
How to make Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Y’all … if you ever thought making Enchilada Sauce was difficult, you are going to be so stoked about how easy it really is to make! Let’s go ….
Add ingredients to a saucepan. First, you will combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil and thicken the sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally. Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered until slightly thickened.
Use in your favorite recipes! Use this enchilada sauce in your favorite enchilada recipe. Or, anywhere, enchilada sauce is listed in the recipe!
Enchilada Sauce: FAQs
Enchilada sauce is typically made with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and a liquid such as broth or water.
Yes, you can make enchilada sauce ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze it for later use (up to 3 months).
Absolutely! You can adjust the amount of chili powder or add in other spices, such as paprika or cayenne pepper, to make it more or less spicy. Also, try different chile peppers for different flavors and heat levels.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce can be healthier than store-bought options since you have control over the ingredients and can avoid any unwanted preservatives or additives.
Enchilada sauce can be used in a variety of dishes, such as enchiladas, tacos, and burritos, or as a marinade for meats. Sometimes, I like to make chilaquiles with it!
Absolutely! It will be just as delicious!
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 jalapenos, finely chopped, if desired
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the enchilada sauce ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Use this enchilada sauce in your favorite enchilada recipe or anywhere enchilada sauce is listed in the recipe!
- You can make enchilada sauce ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze it for later use (up to 3 months).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, Non-Slip, Extra Large Thick Chopping Boards, Dishwasher Safe, Non-Porous, Set of 3
Chef Knife - 8 Inches
Medium 2 Quart Nonstick Saucepan with Glass Lid
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 29Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 204mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.
Originally published on October 13, 2014. Updated on April 13, 2023.