Enjoy the ultimate party snack with our Slow Cooker Chex Mix recipe. Crunchy, savory, and so easy to make – it’s perfect for any occasion!
Table of contents
Elevate Your Holiday Gathering with Homemade Chex Mix
The holiday season is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than with a delicious homemade Chex Mix?
Whether you’re hosting a Christmas party or looking for a tasty snack during festive movie nights, Chex Mix is a classic choice that never disappoints.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the wonders of Chex Mix, discuss why it’s the perfect addition to your Christmas festivities, and provide you with a homemade Chex Mix recipe to elevate your holiday gathering.
Why Chex Mix for Christmas?
- Versatility: Chex Mix is incredibly versatile. You can customize it to suit your taste and your guests’ preferences. From sweet and spicy to savory and crunchy, the options are endless.
- Easy to Make: While we won’t go into the recipe details here, rest assured that making homemade Chex Mix is a breeze. It’s a stress-free option that allows you to focus on other aspects of your holiday preparations.
- Perfect Party Mix: Chex Mix is not just a snack; it’s a party in a bowl. Its variety of textures and flavors make it an ideal party mix that everyone can enjoy. Your guests will keep coming back for more.
Creating Your Homemade Chex Mix
Now, let’s dive into creating your homemade Chex Mix. Feel free to experiment with different ingredients and seasonings to make it uniquely yours. Remember, the key is to balance the various flavors and textures to create the ultimate party snack.
Homemade Chex Mix is a timeless treat that can enhance any Christmas gathering. Its versatility, ease of preparation, and crowd-pleasing qualities make it a must-have for your holiday celebrations.
So, why not add this delicious party mix to your Christmas menu this year? Your guests will thank you for it, and you’ll have a festive snack that’s both memorable and satisfying.
Whether you’re planning a big holiday party or want a snack by the fireplace, homemade Chex Mix is the answer.
So, gather your ingredients, follow the recipe, and get ready to elevate your Christmas gathering with this classic treat. Happy holidays!
Slow Cooker Chex Mix: Ingredients & Equipment
To make Slow Cooker Chex Mix, you will need …
- rice chex cereal, wheat chex cereal, and corn chex cereal
- mini twist pretzels – or any shape of pretzel you prefer
- unsalted peanuts
- salted butter
- soy sauce – or Worcestershire sauce
- BBQ sauce
- garlic salt
- onion powder
- slow cooker
- mixing bowls
- utensils to stir
- baking sheet and parchment paper
How to make Slow Cooker Chex Mix
Combine ingredients. In a slow cooker, combine the rice Chex cereal, wheat Chex cereal, corn Chex cereal, pretzels, and unsalted peanuts. Set aside for now.
Combine sauce ingredients. Whisk together the melted salted butter, soy sauce, BBQ sauce, garlic salt, and onion powder in a separate, small bowl.
Pour and mix. Pour the seasoned butter mixture over the cereal mixture and toss everything together until well combined.
Cook. Cook on low until cereal has lightly browned, stirring every 30 minutes.
Cool. Once the mixture is cooked, pour the Chex mix onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and spread it evenly. Allow it to cool completely before serving.
Serve. Once cooled, enjoy!
Homemade Chex Mix Recipe: FAQs
Certainly! You can adjust the recipe to your preferences. For example, to make it gluten-free, replace wheat Chex with more rice and corn and use gluten-free pretzels. You can also add extra ingredients like rye chips, breadsticks, or cayenne pepper for a spicy twist.
Yes, you can make it a day or two ahead of time. Store it in an airtight container until you’re ready to enjoy it.
Yes, Worcestershire sauce is a traditional ingredient for Chex Mix. Feel free to use it if you prefer that flavor.
Allow the Chex Mix to cool completely before storing. Place leftovers in an airtight container or a sealed bag to prevent the cereal and pretzels from becoming stale. Store at room temperature for up to 3 weeks. For longer-term storage, you can freeze it for 4-6 months.
You can get creative with Chex Mix by adding ingredients like dried fruits, different types of nuts, or even chocolate chips for a sweet twist. Experiment with seasonings like smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, or your favorite herbs and spices for unique flavor profiles.
Certainly! You can easily scale up this recipe to make a larger batch. Ensure you have a big enough slow cooker, or use multiple slow cookers if needed.
Tips for Success
- If you prefer a crispier and slightly charred Chex Mix, you can cook it for an extra 30 minutes to an hour.
- It’s essential to stir the Chex Mix every 30 minutes while cooking. This helps ensure even cooking and prevents burning, especially in the last hour of cooking.
- This recipe works best in a large oval slow cooker. If you have a deep and round slow cooker, you may need to stir it more often and cook it for a bit longer.
- Add cayenne pepper or hot sauce to the seasoning mixture to make a spicy Chex Mix. Adjust the amount to your desired level of spiciness.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 2-3/4 cup rice chex cereal
- 2-3/4 cup wheat chex cereal
- 2-3/4 cup corn chex cereal
- 1-3/4 cup mini twist pretzels
- 3/4 cup unsalted peanuts
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- Combine the rice, wheat, and corn Chex cereals, pretzels, and unsalted peanuts in a slow cooker. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, soy sauce, BBQ sauce, garlic salt, and onion powder.
- Pour the seasoned butter mixture over the cereal mixture and toss everything together until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 2-1/2 hours or until cereal has lightly browned. Stir the mixture every 30 minutes to ensure nothing burns and to get an even color on the cereal.
- Once the mix is done cooking, pour the Chex mix onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and spread it out evenly.
- Allow it to cool completely before serving, about 30 minutes.
- You can easily scale up this recipe to make a larger batch. Ensure you have a big enough slow cooker, or use multiple slow cookers if needed.
- Allow the Chex Mix to cool completely before storing. Place leftovers in an airtight container or a sealed bag to prevent the cereal and pretzels from becoming stale. Store at room temperature for up to 3 weeks. For longer-term storage, you can freeze it for 4-6 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Silicone Pot Holder Trivet Mats - Hot Pads Spoon Rest, Multipurpose Trivet for Hot Dishers Heat Resistant Food Grade Silicone Set of 4
11-Inch Silicone Balloon Whisk
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Parchment Paper Roll with SmartGrid - 3 Boxes of 50 Square Feet (150 Sq. Ft Total)
15-Inch Nonstick Baking Sheet
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Crockpot 8 Quart Slow Cooker with Auto Warm Setting and Cookbook, Black Stainless Steel
Nutrition Information:Yield: 22 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 719Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 701mgCarbohydrates: 140gFiber: 17gSugar: 6gProtein: 26g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.