It’s no secret that one of my favorite foods is soup – of any kind! There was a time when I was much younger, that I did not like potato soup. (I think it was the idea of milk in my soup that turned me off – I do not like milk and my mom always used milk in her potato soup). I’m not even sure why it turned me off that much, because I like everything else in potato soup. This was one of those meals I would sit and stare at in protest and refuse to eat. I would be threatened with having to sit there all night …. or worse, eating it for breakfast the next day. I hated it.
- 1/2 lb. bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups (32 oz. carton) chicken broth
- 2 large baking potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
- Cheddar cheese and green onions for garnish
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Drain all but 1 tbsp. of the bacon drippings. Add the onion and cook until tender. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minutes. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add broth while stirring constantly. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Lower the heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer and add the potatoes, bacon and heavy cream. Heat through but do not boil.
- Serve topped with cheese and green onions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 597Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 1012mgFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 18g
I hope you enjoy!
Shared at these
Don’t forget to link up YOUR Soup Recipes HERE
Copyright © Love Bakes Good Cakes 2012 All Rights Reserved