Egg Roll in a Bowl is a flavorful, quick, and easy low carb dinner idea that only takes minutes to make! A great twist on classic egg rolls!
Egg Roll in a Bowl
If you are a fan of egg rolls but need a faster way to get all of the flavor and texture with minimal work – then this recipe is for you! This has become a staple in our dinner rotation so I just had to share it with you!
One of the things I love most about this recipe besides being so flavorful is how quick and easy it is to make! Let’s be honest, after a long day, the last thing I want to do is spend hours making dinner.
Another thing I love is that I can use whatever kind of ground meat I happen to have in my freezer – or I can buy whatever is on sale! Although I use ground pork for this recipe, feel free to swap it out for ground beef, chicken, or even turkey!
With all of the restrictions on restaurants these past few months, my kids have been requesting this recipe a lot lately! Mostly because they can get their egg roll fix without having to leave home to do it! And I don’t mind because it’s pretty budget-friendly and easy!
Sometimes just to make it feel more egg roll-like, I put fried won-ton stips on top. But that is totally optional! A couple of my kiddos like to top this off with a sweet chili sauce like Mae Ploy. A couple of others like Yum Yum Sauce and my husband likes extra soy sauce!
This is a great meal when you need something quick and easy. It’s a favorite in the Love Bakes Good Cakes house and I’m sure it will be in yours as well! Let me show you how to make it …
Recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl
** Ingredients are at a glance. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full amounts and printable recipe. **
For the recipe
- olive oil
- cloves of garlic
- fresh ginger
- ground pork (or ground beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey)
- sesame oil
- shredded cabbage (or a bag of coleslaw mix)
- shredded carrots (omit this is you use the coleslaw mix)
- low-sodium soy sauce
- Sriracha sauce, optional if you like a little heat
- Cooked brown or white rice
- Green onions for garnish
How to make Egg Roll in a Bowl
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to make Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Heat oil.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Add garlic and ginger.
Add garlic and fresh ginger and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Brown and crumble pork.
Add pork; brown and crumble until no pink remains. Push the pork to one side of the pan.
- Add sesame oil and vegetables.
Add sesame oil, cabbage, and carrots. Stir to combine with the meat and cook until tender-crisp.
- Add sauces.
Add soy sauce and Sriracha.
- Cook and stir.
Cook and stir until the cabbage is tender, about 6-8 minutes.
Serve immediately with cooked rice. Garnish with green onions, more sesame oil, and Sriracha, if desired
Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Egg Roll in a Bowl: FAQs
This recipe is low-carb!
I usually put them in the microwave until heated through.
Sure! It’s easy to make ahead for those times when you want something that’s quick and easy! Be sure to use it within 2 months.
This recipe is best eaten within 3-5 days.
We usually serve this recipe with rice or cauliflower rice. You can also serve it in lettuce leaves. For those times when I want an additional side dish, we often serve this recipe with a side of fruit.
Feel free to use whatever ground meat you like for this recipe – ground fresh pork, lean ground beef, ground sausage, or ground chicken!
How did you like this recipe?
Isn’t this the perfect meal when you need somethign fast and filling? What did your family think of this recipe? If you have any questions of if you would like to let me know about your experience, be sure to leave a comment below!
More Asian-style recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe and would like a few more suggestions, give one of these recipes a try:
Connect with Love Bakes Good Cakes!
If you would love a peek behind-the-scenes … check out my Instagram.
Don’t miss a single recipe!
Follow us on social media:
For the Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 4-5 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low-sodium
- 2-3 tsp. Sriracha (optional if you like a little heat)
- Cooked brown or white rice
- Green onions, for garnish
- Sweet chili sauce, yum yum sauce, or additional soy sauce (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Add garlic and fresh ginger and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add pork and cook until no pink remains. Push pork to one side of the pan
- Add sesame oil, cabbage, and carrots.
- Stir to combine with meat and cook until tender-crisp.
- Add soy sauce and Sriracha.
- Cook and stir until the cabbage is tender about 6-8 minutes.
- Serve immediately with cooked rice. Garnish with green onions, sweet chili sauce, yum yum sauce, more soy sauce, and/or Sriracha if desired.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Substitute ground beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey in place of the ground pork!
- To make this recipe even easier and speedier, substitute a 14-16 oz. bag of shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix in place of shredding the cabbage yourself.
- Substitute 1 tsp. ground ginger for the fresh ginger.
- Want to make this more filling? Scramble an egg or two after the cabbage has cooked by pushing it to the side.
- Missing the crunchy wrapper? Top this dish off with fried won-ton strips!
- To help keep the carb count in check, serve this over cauliflower rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe)
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons (Fits in Spice Jar) Set of 6
Contemporary Self-sharpening 20-piece Knife Block Set
Cutting Board Set, 15-Inch by 20-Inch by 1/2-Inch, Assorted Colors
Bamboo Handle Wok Spatula
Wok - Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel (14 Inch, Round Bottom)
Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
Simply Calphalon Nonstick 10 Piece Cookware Set
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 492mgCarbohydrates: 14gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 10gSugar: 15gProtein: 27g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary greatly between brands. Always be sure to read labels.