BBQ Chicken & Bacon Tater Tot Casserole is one of our kids’ favorite dishes! Go figure! I know it’s easy to make, and there’s no leftovers!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
BBQ Chicken & Bacon Tater Tot Casserole
Almost halfway through July and I’m busting out a casserole dish ….. and I live in Phoenix?! Hello?! It’s hot as heck here! Sometimes, I have to cave in and turn the oven on though. Casserole dishes are just too easy!
Here’s a twist on the classic Tater Tot Casserole! This dish is so easy to make – and it’s even easier if you use leftover chicken! You will need about 2 cups of leftover chicken.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 bag (32 oz.) frozen tater tots (you may not need all of the tater tots)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat and cook the chicken until no longer pink. Remove from the heat and add the bacon, soup, milk and BBQ sauce. Spread evenly into the bottom of the prepared dish. Top with cheese, then tater tots.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tater tots are cooked and slightly browned. Serve!
*** To make condensed soup substitute: Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Stir in 3 tablespoons flour and stir until smooth and bubbly. While continuously stirring, add 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk. Bring to a low boil, continuing to stir until it thickens. Salt and pepper to taste. Use in place of canned cream of "whatever kind" of soup. You can also add herbs, celery or mushrooms.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 462Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 1014mgFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 21g
Originally published on July 10, 2013. Updated on April 23, 2021.