Start your holiday morning right with this flavorful Overnight Christmas Breakfast Casserole. A festive feast for the family! 🎄🍳
Table of contents
- Delightful Christmas Morning: Overnight Christmas Breakfast Casserole”
- Overnight Christmas Breakfast Casserole: Ingredients & Equipment
- How to make Overnight Christmas Breakfast Casserole
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole Recipes: FAQs
- Other recipes you may enjoy
Delightful Christmas Morning: Overnight Christmas Breakfast Casserole”
The holiday season is a time for cherished traditions and memorable gatherings. What better way to celebrate Christmas morning than with a scrumptious and easy-to-prepare Overnight Christmas Breakfast Casserole?
This delightful dish is the perfect centerpiece for your festive breakfast spread, combining the flavors of breakfast sausage, crispy bacon, colorful bell peppers, and creamy Velveeta cheese.
A Festive Tradition
Christmas breakfast is a special occasion, and this casserole brings a touch of holiday magic to the table. The red and green bell peppers add a pop of Christmas colors and infuse the dish with a subtle sweetness and crunch.
Whether you’re serving a small family or a group of friends, this casserole is a crowd-pleaser that can be prepared in advance, allowing you to spend more quality time with loved ones on Christmas morning.
The Convenience of Overnight Prep
One of the highlights of this breakfast casserole is its overnight preparation. You can assemble all the ingredients the night before, pop it in the fridge, and bake it in the morning. This means less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying the holiday festivities.
Versatile and Personalizable
While the recipe provides a fantastic base, you can also add your own personal touches. Feel free to experiment with ingredients like ham, mushrooms, or spinach to customize the casserole to your liking. It’s a versatile dish that accommodates various tastes and dietary preferences.
Share the Holiday Joy
Christmas breakfast is not just about the food; it’s about coming together as a family and creating cherished memories. Our overnight breakfast casserole recipes is designed to make your Christmas morning special with its heartwarming flavors and festive spirit.
When it comes to Christmas breakfast, this overnight breakfast casserole recipes is a true crowd-pleaser. Its combination of flavors, easy overnight preparation, and versatility make it a must-try dish for your holiday celebrations.
Start a new tradition this Christmas with this delightful Christmas morning casserole.
Overnight Christmas Breakfast Casserole: Ingredients & Equipment
To make Christmas casserole, you will need …
- ground breakfast sausage – You can use regular pork sausage, turkey sausage, or vegetarian sausage for this recipe. Depending on your preference, you can also use hot sausage. If you’re not a fan of sausage or bacon, consider using diced ham, cooked and crumbled turkey, or even cooked quinoa for a vegetarian option.
- bacon – You can use regular pork bacon or turkey bacon for this recipe.
- white onion – or yellow.
- green and red bell pepper – Customize the bell peppers to your liking or based on what’s in your pantry. You can use yellow or orange bell peppers instead of red or green. You can add other vegetables like spinach, mushrooms, or diced tomatoes for extra flavor and nutrition.
- crusty bread – The recipe calls for crusty bread, but you can use regular white or whole-wheat bread if that’s what you have on hand. To make it gluten-free, use gluten-free bread cubes.
- Velveeta cheese – While Velveeta cheese adds creaminess, you can use other meltable cheeses like cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Swiss.
- large eggs
- half and half – Instead of half and half, you can use whole milk, low-fat milk, or a dairy-free milk alternative like almond or soy milk.
- salt and ground black pepper – Adjust the salt and pepper to taste, and you can also add herbs and spices like thyme, rosemary, or paprika for additional flavor.
- sharp cheddar cheese
- utensils for stirring
- 9×13-inch baking dish
- large bowl
- plastic wrap or aluminum foil
How to make Overnight Christmas Breakfast Casserole
Cook and save. Cook the sausage and bacon, saving 1 tbsp bacon grease.
Sauté veggies. Sauté onion and bell peppers in bacon grease until soft.
Prepare pan and add bread. Grease a 9×13 baking dish and add bread cubes.
Layer ingredients. Layer with cooked sausage, peppers, onion, and bacon.
Top with Velveeta. Sprinkle diced Velveeta on top.
Prepare egg mixture and pour onto casserole. Whisk eggs with half and half, salt, and pepper; pour over the casserole.
Refrigerate overnight. Refrigerate covered for 8+ hours.
Prepare the oven. Preheat oven to 375°F.
Add cheese and bake. Top the casserole with shredded cheddar; bake for 40 minutes.
Let rest before slicing and serving. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Overnight Breakfast Casserole Recipes: FAQs
Absolutely! That’s one of the great things about this recipe. You can assemble it the night before and refrigerate it, so all you need to do on Christmas morning is pop it in the oven.
Yes, you can. While Velveeta adds creaminess, feel free to use your favorite cheese, such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Swiss.
Certainly, to make it vegetarian, omit the meat or use vegetarian sausage. For a vegan version, use plant-based sausage, dairy-free cheese, and a vegan egg substitute.
Of course! You can use different bell pepper colors or add other veggies like mushrooms, spinach, or diced tomatoes to suit your taste.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days, making it perfect for enjoying over the holiday weekend.
Yes, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Be sure to wrap it well to prevent freezer burn.
Leftovers can be reheated in the oven or microwave until heated through.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 pound bacon, small diced, cooked crispy
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup small diced white onion
- 1 cup small diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup small diced red bell pepper
- 4 cups small cubed crusty bread
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, small diced
- 12 large eggs, well beaten
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
The night before
- Cook the onion and bell peppers in bacon grease over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are softened, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the cubed bread into the bottom of the dish.
- Layer the ingredients in the following order: cooked sausage, peppers and onion mixture, bacon, and Velveeta.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl with half and half, salt, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture all over the top of the casserole. Press down on the top of the casserole so the bread starts soaking in the egg mixture.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.
In the morning
- When ready to bake in the morning, remove the baking dish from the refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature while you preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Top the casserole with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean with no wet egg in the center. If it starts browning too much, you may need to cover the casserole with foil.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheat leftovers covered in the oven or in the microwave.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Nonstick-Hard-Anodized, 12-Inch, Skillet w/Glass Cover
11-Inch Silicone Balloon Whisk
Mixing Bowls with Airtight Lids, 6 Piece Stainless Steel Metal Bowls, Measurement Marks & Colorful Non-Slip Bottoms Size 7, 3.5, 2.5, 2.0,1.5, 1QT, Great for Mixing & Serving
Silicone Oven Mitt with Magnet, Licorice Black
Non-Stick 13 x 9-Inch Covered Oblong Baking Pan with Lids, Pack of 2
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 sice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 579Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 295mgSodium: 1340mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 34g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.