Is it casserole season yet? We’re heading into September and the temperatures are still warm here in Phoenix, but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying a yummy casserole every now and then. Many of y’all are familiar with tater tot casserole – ya know the one with ground beef … but this Loaded Tater Tot Casserole is full of bacon, chicken, cheese and scrumptious from-scratch chicken gravy!
I got this idea from my bloggy friend, Sheena over at Hot Eats and Cool Reads. I immediately knew my family would LOVE this. The only thing I did different to the recipe was to add the gravy – because who doesn’t love gravy?! 😉 If you’re pressed for time, you could substitute jarred gravy if you would like – or you can even omit it completely like Sheena did.
Loaded Tater Tot Casserole
I got this idea from my bloggy friend, Sheena over at Hot Eats and Cool Reads. I immediately knew my family would LOVE this. Your’s will too.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart (32 oz. container) chicken stock (or use homemade)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, half and half or milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 lb. bag (32 oz.) frozen tater tots
- 1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups leftover chicken, chopped
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Thinly-sliced green onions, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange the tater tots in the bottom of a 9x13-in. baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and allow to cook until the mixture turns a deep brown color - about 10 minutes. Gradually add the chicken stock while whisking. Allow to come to a low boil and continue to cook and stir until the mixture thickens a bit - about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream, season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Top the baked tater tots with the chicken gravy. Add the bacon, chicken and cheese. Return to the oven and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through. To serve, top individual portions with sour cream and green onions, if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 576kcal Calories from fat 443|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 49g||75%|
|Saturated Fat 22g||110%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
I hope you enjoy! Shared at these
Don’t forget to share and comment ♥
Copyright © Love Bakes Good Cakes 2012-2013 All Rights Reserved