You have to try this Cheeseburger Casserole! It is the best! If you like cheeseburgers and want something simple for dinner, this is it. You likely have most or all of the ingredients already!
Table of contents
Recipe for Cheeseburger Casserole
At any time of the year, a fuss-free meal always goes over well, and this cheeseburger casserole is no different. It delivers because it’s so easy. While it’s baking you can be prepping a salad, helping kids with homework, or catching up on some emails. Simple! No drama!
By the way, the basis of this Cheeseburger Casserole is the famous “Impossibly Easy Pies” from Betty Crocker, which use Bisquick. This recipe uses Bisquick too, and I always have it on hand. I think I almost always have everything for this particular recipe on hand!! You probably do, too …
Cheeseburger Casseroles are very, very economical. Filling, too!!
This is one of those recipes that’s on rotation in my house all the time since it’s not just easy … it’s almost always a winner with the whole family! Very, very kid-friendly. Enjoy!
Cheeseburger Casserole: Ingredient & Equipment
For this Cheeseburger Casserole, you’ll need …
- lean ground beef – the “hamburger” part of the casserole! You’ll need about a pound.
- onion, and salt – these provide more flavor to the casserole.
- Bisquick baking mix, milk, and eggs – these will form the “bread” on the top of your casserole.
- ketchup, mustard – your condiments. Yum!
- toppings – your faves you usually eat with cheeseburgers! Optional, but takes this casserole to the next level.
- 9” pie plate and cooking spray – you’ll cook the casserole right in here.
- skillet – for browning your meat, stirring in the condiments and onions, etc.
- bowl – for mixing your Bisquick ingredients.
NOTE: This casserole easily doubles if you need to feed a crowd! Bake it in a 9×13-inch baking dish instead of the pie plate.
Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe: FAQs
You’ll need just short of an hour! 10 minutes of that will be for prep, and 40 minutes of that will be for actually cooking the casserole.
It should serve 6 people, depending on the size of the portions.
You certainly can! You can prepare this casserole up to 24 hours in advance. Keep the prepared casserole covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Then add 5-10 minutes to the bake time when it’s ready to go. After, be sure to check with a knife inserted near the center to ensure it comes out clean.
If you need some delicious inspiration, we usually serve this casserole with a side of shredded lettuce, tomato, thinly sliced red onion, dill pickle chips, and any other cheeseburger topping we’re craving! You can also add sesame seeds to the casserole, or even make this a bacon cheeseburger casserole by adding a few cooked, crumbled bacon strips.
It’s very similar to those dishes, just without the pasta! You can very much add cooked pasta to this, though, for something a little close to a “Hamburger Helper” casserole.
If you don’t have Bisquick where you are, you can make a similar mix homemade. I have a recipe for a homemade baking mix right here that acts pretty much the same as Bisquick, and you use it in equal amounts, too!
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Original Bisquick Baking Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- your favorite cheeseburger toppings for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a skillet, brown and crumble the beef with the onion until meat is no longer pink, drain. Stir in the ketchup, mustard, and salt. Spread the beef mixture into the prepared pan. Top with cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the Bisquick, milk, and eggs with a wire whisk or a fork until thoroughly combined. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- This casserole easily doubles if you need to feed a crowd! Bake it in a 9x13-inch baking dish instead of the pie plate.
- You can prepare this casserole up to 24 hours in advance. Keep the prepared casserole covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Add 5-10 minutes to the bake time (be sure to check with a knife inserted near the center to ensure it comes out clean).
- Make this a Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole by adding a few cooked, crumbled bacon strips!
- We usually serve this casserole with a side of shredded lettuce, tomato, thinly sliced red onion, dill pickle chips, and any other cheeseburger topping we're craving.
- Try adding a sprinkle of sesame seeds before baking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Silicone Pot Holder Trivet Mats - Hot Pads Spoon Rest, Multipurpose Trivet for Hot Dishers Heat Resistant Food Grade Silicone Set of 4
11-Inch Silicone Balloon Whisk
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Simply Calphalon Nonstick 10 Piece Cookware Set
Ground Meat Chopper
Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe)
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
9-Inch Deep Pie Plate, Clear, 1 Piece
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 153mgSodium: 760mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 33g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.
Originally published on July 5, 2013. Updated on June 23, 2022.