These easy Taco Pinwheels are full of Mexican flavor, making them the perfect appetizer or snack for any event. Great for a quick lunch, too!
Table of contents
Taco Tortilla Roll-Ups
Taco Pinwheels are a delicious and convenient snack or appetizer that consists of small rolled-up tortillas filled with shredded chicken, Cheddar cheese, and a creamy taco-flavored spread. These tasty treats are easy to make and are a popular choice for parties, gatherings, and quick weeknight meals.
In this case, for this recipe, we’ve filled it with lots of taco flavors! If you would rather use cooked ground beef in place of shredded chicken, you totally can! It will still be delicious!
One of the main benefits of these Taco Pinwheels is that they do not require any heating or cooking to serve them. This means that you can save time and effort in the preparation process. They are a great make-ahead appetizer or snack because you can make them ahead.
These Taco Tortilla Roll-Ups are a delicious and convenient snack or appetizer that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. They are easy to make and can be filled with a wide variety of ingredients to suit personal preferences.
No matter where you choose to serve these tasty morsels, this Taco Pinwheel recipe is a great option for everyone. So why not give them a try and see for yourself just how delicious and satisfying these little rolled-up treats can be!
Mexican Pinwheels: Ingredients & Equipment
To make these Mexican Pinwheels, you’ll need …
- cream cheese, sour cream, taco sauce, taco seasoning – these combine to create the creamy sauce that is going to give your pinwheels so much flavor.
- Cheddar cheese, cooked shredded chicken, and cilantro – the delicious filling ingredients.
- flour tortillas – you will want to find burrito-sized for this recipe.
- medium mixing bowl and rubber spatula – to combine and spread your ingredients
- plastic wrap – for covering your pinwheels while they’re in the fridge.
- serrated knife and cutting board – to cut your pinwheels just before serving.
How to make Taco Pinwheels
First, prepare the filling. To make Taco Pinwheels, you will need to start by gathering all of your ingredients and preparing your filling. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, taco sauce, and taco seasoning until well combined. Then, stir in the cheese, chicken, and cilantro.
Next, assemble the pinwheels. Once your filling is prepared, you can begin to assemble your Taco Pinwheels. To do this, lay out a tortilla on a flat surface, and spread a layer of your filling onto the center of the tortilla. Be sure to leave a border around the edges of the tortilla to make it easier to roll up. Then, carefully roll the tortilla up into a tight cylinder shape, using your fingers to tuck in the filling as you go. Repeat this process until you have used up all of your filling and tortillas.
Then, wrap and refrigerate. Next, you will want to wrap them individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for at least 2-3 hours.
Finally, slice and serve. Just before serving, unwrap the tortillas. Using a serrated knife, cut them into 1/2 to 1-inch slices.
Taco Pinwheels: FAQs
Yes, you can definitely make these Taco Pinwheels ahead of time. I actually encourage you to! To do this, simply assemble the pinwheels as directed in the recipe, and then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Store the wrapped pinwheels in the fridge until you are ready to serve them.
Yes, you can freeze Taco pinwheels for a quick and convenient snack or appetizer later on. To freeze your pinwheels, simply assemble them as directed in the recipe, and then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place the wrapped pinwheels in a resealable plastic bag or airtight container, and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve them, allow them to thaw in the refrigerator.
Yes, you can definitely use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas for Taco Pinwheels. Flour tortillas are often softer and more pliable than corn tortillas, which can make them easier to roll up and fill. However, keep in mind that flour tortillas may not have the same flavor or texture as corn tortillas, so you may want to adjust your filling or seasoning accordingly. Also, corn tortillas tend to be a lot smaller – so you will need to adjust how many you need to make to use all of the filling.
You know I do! Here are some ideas my family loves, but feel free to adjust things to your taste:
– use cooked ground beef instead of shredded chicken.
– add chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, pickled jalapenos, drained black beans, corn kernels, or black olives to the filling mixture.
– try Pepper Jack or a Mexican-blend cheese in place of Cheddar.
– dip your pinwheels in additional taco sauce or Ranch dressing – or try mixing the two for a really awesome sauce! 😍 You can also use salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or other condiments.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup taco sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 6 burrito-sied flour tortillas
- Mix the cream cheese, sour cream, taco sauce, and taco seasoning in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Stir in the cheese, chicken, and cilantro.
- With a rubber spatula, spread 1/6th of the filling evenly over each tortilla.
- Roll each tortilla up tightly and wrap them individually in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours.
- Just before serving, unwrap the tortillas. Using a serrated knife, cut them into 1/2 to 1-inch slices.
- These are best if made and consumed within 24 hours.
- This recipe is a great way to use leftover chicken!
- See the FAQs section in the post for some suggested variations!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
ClingWrap Plastic Food Wrap - 300 Square Foot Roll - 4 Pack (Package May Vary)
Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, Non-Slip, Extra Large Thick Chopping Boards, Dishwasher Safe, Non-Porous, Set of 3
Contemporary Self-sharpening 20-piece Knife Block Set
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Nutrition Information:Yield: 60 Serving Size: 1 pinwheel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 176mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.