This delicious and healthy Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup is a cinch to put together. Serve it with a crusty bread for an easy, affordable meal.
I’m beginning to think that winter skipped those of us in Arizona this year. Granted, our version of winter is nothing like those picturesque images of cottages with perfectly fallen white snow and a cardinal sitting on the lamp post. Here in Phoenix, it’s still dirt and rocks with slightly cooler temperatures.
Although we eat soup year-round here in the Love Bakes Good Cakes house, it feels so much more comforting when the weather is cooler. I have been craving my Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup. I was hoping to have it on a day when the weather was overcast or at least below 65°F. Finally, I had to give in and make it … on a day when it was 78°F. On the bright side, since this is a slow cooker recipe. I didn’t have to worry about heating up the house or running up the gas bill. 😂
What you’ll need for this recipe:
I love how easy this Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup is to put together. A few chopped veggies, ham or bacon (or leave it out if you prefer), and some simple spices. And, you’re well on your way to a healthy and delicious dinner! Occasionally, we switch up the seasonings a bit. Thyme, parsley, and rosemary are all great additions. This soup is the perfect way to use up leftover ham. For those times when we don’t have leftover ham, I buy the pre-diced ham from the meat department. We like our soup with a more liquid consistency. If you prefer a thicker soup, use less liquid. Or towards the end, let the soup finish cooking with the lid off to help it thicken up a bit.
We love to serve this with crumbled bacon on top. Usually, we serve this Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with a side of crusty bread, making this an easy, delicious, and affordable meal. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb. dry split peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 meaty ham bone OR 2 cups ham, diced
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6-8 cups chicken stock or water
- Place all of the ingredients in a 5-Qt. or larger slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or HIGH for 4-5 hours, or until the peas are tender.
- If using a ham bone, remove from the slow cooker. Shred ham into bite-size pieces then return the ham to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Discard the bone.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 860mgFiber: 16gSugar: 10gProtein: 32g
Don’t forget to pin it!