A super easy breakfast treat that takes only minutes to make, this Easy Breakfast Banana Split is tons of fun to personalize with your kids! Mornings don’t have to be boring anymore!
Table of contents
Breakfast Banana Split
Sometimes, you have to shake up the boring breakfast routine and try something a little bit fun but still on the healthy side. This easy breakfast banana split recipe is the best of both worlds!
For the past two weeks, my kids have been talking about how much they want banana splits, and it got me thinking about this recipe. I decided I would keep some of the fun banana split toppings but swap some of the others for healthier options. And give it to them for breakfast. Major mom points there!!
I started with a base of bananas and cottage cheese. Yes, cottage cheese! It’s a great way to sneak in some protein-packed dairy! Then I added all the usual banana split goodies like chocolate chips, peanuts, and whipped cream with a cherry on top. The kids love it, and yours will, too!
Or, heck, why not just eat this for yourself, even if you don’t have kids?! You probably deserve a sweet treat in the morning sometimes, too!
I feel like if more breakfast recipes were like this one, I’d probably like it more than I do! Enjoy!
Easy Breakfast Banana Split: Ingredients & Equipment
For this Easy Breakfast Banana Split recipe, you’ll need …
- banana – peeled and sliced lengthwise.
- cottage cheese – pick your favorite brand! I use Shamrock Farms.
- spreadable fruit, granola, mini chocolate chips, chopped peanuts, sprinkles – your tasty toppings!
- whipped cream, cherry – the garnish! A literal cherry on top!
- plate or banana split boat – no special tools for this one! Just a plate to serve it on.
NOTE: For an even healthier option, omit sprinkles, sweetened whipped cream, and cherry. Increase granola to 3 tbsp. Add fresh fruit, if desired. It’s still delicious and still kid-approved but has a little less sugar if that’s what you’re going for.
How to make Easy Breakfast Banana Split
First, prep the banana base. By that, I just mean put the split banana on a serving plate or in a banana split boat if you have one! Top it with cottage cheese.
Then, add your toppings and serve them immediately! Drizzle spreadable fruit, granola, chocolate chips, peanuts, and sprinkles on top. Garnish it with a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry, and watch it disappear!
Easy Breakfast Banana Split: FAQs
Just 5 minutes! All you need is to top the banana with your choice of goodies.
Just one, but you can easily make way more if you need to!
Of course! Yogurt is always a great healthy addition to any breakfast and goes particularly well with recipes this fruity and packed with nuts!! And while regular plain yogurt is always welcome, you can also try out fruit yogurts to match your spreadable fruits. Or, you can try out some Greek yogurt with this recipe too. It’s thicker and creamier, with a less sweet and much more tangy flavor that makes a delicious contrast for kiddos!
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1 medium banana, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese or yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons all-fruit spreadable fruit (any flavor)
- 2 tablespoons granola
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts
- 1/2 tablespoon rainbow sprinkles
- dollop sweetened whipped cream
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Place the split banana in a banana split boat or serving plate. Top with cottage cheese or yogurt.
- Drizzle spreadable fruit over the top. Sprinkle granola, chocolate chips, peanuts, and sprinkles over the top.
- Garnish with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream and a cherry.
- Serve immediately.
- For an even healthier option, omit sprinkles, sweetened whipped cream, and cherry. Increase granola to 3 tbsp. Add fresh fruit, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 417Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 562mgCarbohydrates: 91gFiber: 9gSugar: 61gProtein: 29g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.
Originally published on February 25, 2018. Updated on January 16, 2023.