This recipe for Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes combines two favorites. It’s a flavorful, filling meal oozing with juicy meat and melty cheese.
Table of contents
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
The Philly cheesesteak is a beloved sandwich originating from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It typically consists of thinly sliced beefsteak, melted cheese, and sautéed onions served on a long, crusty hoagie roll.
But what if we took this classic sandwich and gave it a sloppy joe twist? Enter the Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe.
These Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes are guaranteed to be the next family dinner night favorite, y’all! They have the best of both worlds: all the cheesy flavors of a Philly cheesesteak and yet as easy to put together as a good ol’ fashioned sloppy joe. Plus, who doesn’t like cheese and sloppy joes? Why not put them together?! Genius!
By the way, this is the perfect low-cost comfort food and is totally drama-free. All you need are some easy-to-find ingredients you probably already have sitting around your pantry or fridge.
One of the great things about this recipe is that it is highly customizable. Don’t have ground beef? No problem – you can use any protein you like, such as beefsteak, chicken, pork, or even tofu. And if you’re not a fan of Cheese Whiz, try provolone, or feel free to use your favorite cheese instead.
But however you choose to make your Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes, one thing is for certain: they are sure to be a hit with anyone who loves a good, hearty sandwich. So why not give them a try? You won’t be disappointed.
With some quick prep, you’ve got a filling meal for Friday dinners, vacation picnics, and the all-important game day. You’ll love it, and so will your kids!!
An interesting combination, right?! Yet oh so delicious!! I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as my crew does!
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes: Ingredients & Equipment
For this Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes recipe, you’ll need …
- beef stock, ketchup, cornstarch, Worcestershire sauce – your sloppy joe sauce! You’ll be cooking this up first.
- butter, onion, bell pepper – you’ll saute these veggies to add to your sloppy joes.
- ground beef, salt, pepper – it’d be hard to have cheesesteak anything without the meat, right?!
- cheese whiz – the final touch to your sloppy joes, which turns them from something average into something amazing, CHEESESTEAK sloppy joes!
- hard rolls – perfect for serving up any great sandwich!
- small bowl – for mixing your homemade sloppy joe sauce together.
- skillet – for cooking your veggies and meat.
How to make Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
First, make your sloppy joe sauce. Whisk together the beef stock, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Set it aside.
Second, saute your veggies. Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a 12” cast iron skillet. Add the sliced onion and saute it for 2 minutes, then add the diced bell pepper and saute for another 2 minutes. Remove the sauteed onion and pepper from the pan.
Third, cook your meat. Heat the cast iron skillet over high until it’s smoking lightly. Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper, and brown until cooked through. (This should take about 4 minutes.) Add the cooked onion and pepper, mix it all together, and lower the heat to medium.
Finally, add in the sauce and make your sloppy joes! Stir in the prepared sauce and cook it all over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened. Then, stir in 1 cup of cheese whiz and remove it all from the heat. Serve your sloppy joes on toasted hard rolls. Top them with more warmed cheese whiz if desired, and enjoy!!
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes: FAQs
The prep time is about 10 minutes, and the cooking time is 10-12 minutes. A super-fast dinner!
This is a recipe that makes around 6 servings.
Throw ‘em in an airtight container and store them in the fridge. Leftovers will stay fresh for about 3 days or so.
Yes! Simply place the filling in a freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy the sloppy joes, thaw the filling in the refrigerator overnight and then heat it up on the stove or microwave until heated through.
You can use brioche buns or a hoagie bun for your Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes! French baguettes and Italian ciabattas taste great, too.
Provolone is an excellent choice for any sandwich recipe that calls for cheese, in my opinion! Its mild flavor goes great with any filling. You can also go for a sharp cheddar cheese instead of cheese whiz. It’s a little more work to melt it all, but it pays off in so much more flavor if you have the time and energy.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup Cheese Whiz (plus more, if desired)
- hamburger buns or other rolls, for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beef stock, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and cornstarch, and set aside.
- In a 12-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the diced bell pepper and saute for another 2 minutes. Remove the sauteed onion and pepper from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add ground beef, salt, and pepper. Brown and crumble the beef until cooked through and no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add the cooked onion and pepper back into the skillet and mix. Lower the heat to medium.
- Stir in the prepared sauce and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in the 1 cup of cheese whiz and remove from the heat.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns or other rolls and top with more warmed cheese whiz if desired.
- Add sliced mushroom if desired, and cook with the green bell pepper.
- Use sliced provolone instead of cheese whiz if desired. Stir in 6 oz sliced provolone when adding the sauce.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
11-Inch Silicone Balloon Whisk
Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, Non-Slip, Extra Large Thick Chopping Boards, Dishwasher Safe, Non-Porous, Set of 3
Chef Knife - 8 Inches
Ground Meat Chopper
HexClad 14 Inch Hybrid Stainless Steel Frying Pan with Lid, Stay-Cool Handle - PFOA Free, Dishwasher and Oven Safe, Non Stick, Works with Induction Cooktop, Gas, Ceramic, and Electric Stove
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 929mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 38g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.