Earthy, sweet, and warm, this Hot Buttered Rum mix is a tasty way to begin a cold day or end it! In particular, this recipe is for a single-serving, so you can make it all for yourself in a big coffee mug.
Table of contents
Hot Buttered Rum Mix
There’s something totally irresistible about rum as winter approaches, probably because one sip and it makes all your insides warm up! (At least, it does for me!!)
To honor the weather growing chillier, I had to share this recipe for a Hot Buttered Rum Mix today.
Grab yourself a mug, your favorite dark rum, some lovely spices, ice cream, and butter, and you’ve got yourself hot buttered rum!
This recipe requires no cooking and just five minutes of prep. Plus, it’s an oh-so-delicious way to get a little bit of rum into your diet! 😂
Warm yourself up on a cold morning or evening with a cup of this tasty, tasty hot buttered rum! Enjoy!
Hot Buttered Rum Mix: Ingredients & Equipment
For this Hot Buttered Rum Mix recipe, you’ll need …
- butter, brown sugar, powdered sugar – the “buttered” part of the hot buttered rum! Alongside the ice cream, this will rise in your rum to make a delicious topping.
- dark Jamaican rum or spiced rum – grab your favorite brand. Rum is associated with Christmas in many places, so if it’s wintertime where you are, there are probably lots of sales going on.
- nutmeg – to sprinkle on top of the hot buttered rum once it’s done.
- hot coffee or simmering water – you’ll fill up the rest of your mug with one of these since you’re not making a whole MUG of just rum! (Although I suppose you could …)
- vanilla ice cream and cinnamon – you’ll add this to your rum for an additional creamy-earthy-sweet topping. Delicious!
- large coffee mug – yes, this is all you’ll need to make this recipe mix, y’all!
How to make Hot Buttered Rum Mix
First, combine a few key ingredients in a coffee mug. Mix your butter, brown sugar, and powdered sugar in a large mug until well combined.
Next, add the rum…and other tasty ingredients! Pour in your rum, add ice cream and cinnamon, and fill the rest of the mug with hot water or coffee. Mix it all together until the ice cream and butter have melted together.
Finally, drink and enjoy! Sprinkle on nutmeg and drink it all up immediately!
Hot Buttered Rum Mix: FAQs
It’s single-serving, and I really do mean that, so it’s just enough for you!
It’s a little 5-minute recipe! Great for when you want a small warm drink but don’t need to/have to make something similar for everyone else.
I’d say in the range of most wines. It depends on how much water/coffee you add to the mug. No matter what, this isn’t one of those recipes where the rum is highly diluted, so you’ll want to stick to giving this one to grown-ups if you add the rum!
Absolutely! If you are serving this to kids, or an adult who prefers no alcohol, you can omit the rum or alcohol.
Not at all!! Experiment with other flavors, too. It’s really delicious with cinnamon, coffee, caramel, and dulce de leche ice cream! You can also skip using ice cream at all: flavored coffee creamers taste great in this recipe.
Sure!! This is a really great recipe to get all your favorite fall/winter flavors in. Try adding …
– Maple syrup
– A cinnamon stick (for garnish)
– A drop of vanilla extract to bring out all the flavors
You can also switch out the rum for whiskey! So good, y’all!!
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 to 2 fluid ounces dark Jamaican rum or spiced rum
- 2 tablespoons vanilla ice cream
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup simmering water or hot coffee
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- In the bottom of a large coffee mug, combine the butter, brown sugar, and powdered sugar until well combined.
- Pour in the rum, add the ice cream and cinnamon, and fill the remainder of the mug with simmering water or hot coffee. Mix the drink with a stirrer or fork until the ice cream and butter have melted together to make a creamy topping.
- Sprinkle with a dash of nutmeg and serve immediately.
- Try different ice cream flavors for a new treat. Coffee, cinnamon, sea salt caramel, and dulce de leche are all great!
- You can also try using a flavored refrigerated coffee creamer instead of ice cream. Sweet cream and vanilla are two of my favorites, but there are quite a few other tasty options, like caramel or hazelnut.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 87mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 19gProtein: 1g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.