This 7 Layer Salad is the perfect addition to any meal or potluck. With layers of veggies, a tangy dressing, cheese, and bacon, this will be a new favorite!
I can’t believe that I’m just getting around to sharing this 7 Layer Salad with y’all! You won’t believe how something so simple can contain so much yumminess! This 7 Layer Salad is a favorite in the Love Bakes Good Cakes house for more than 20 years. We enjoy it as an addition to weeknight meals, as well as holiday dinners. It also makes a great side dish for potlucks.
I’m not sure how layering the ingredients in this salad makes is so outstanding. It’s almost like something magical happens when you layer everything and let it hang out together for a bit. It makes you want to take one more scoop because it’s so addictingly good. Isaac, my 16-yr-old, loves this salad so much that he always puts extra on his plate and if there are any leftovers, he tries to claim it all for himself.
One of the great things about this salad is how easy it is to customize. No red pepper? Use a green, yellow, or orange pepper. Don’t like a particular veggie? Swap it out for something you do like – like broccoli or cauliflower. Want to make it more substantial? Add a layer of hard-boiled eggs and call it an 8 Layer Salad. Want even more? Add a layer of cooked and cooled pasta and call it a 9 Layer Salad. You get the idea. Of the many ways we’ve eaten this 7 Layer Salad, this version is our favorite.
The best way to serve a salad like this is in a clear container of some sort to show off the layers of the salad. I’ve used actual salad bowls, a trifle bowl, 9×13-in. casserole dishes, and large clear mixing bowls. They all work. Use what works for you.
Usually, I like to keep the dressing super simple. Mayo, sugar, salt, and pepper. Occasionally, I’ll dress it up a bit more with fresh herbs – dill being one of my faves.
- 1 bag (18 oz.) salad mix
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 bag (12 oz.) frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1 1/4 cups mayo
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pkg. (12 oz.) bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large salad bowl, layer the salad mix evenly on the bottom. Evenly sprinkle the red bell pepper, red onion, and peas over the top.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the mayo, sugar, salt, and pepper until smooth and well combined. Spread the mayo mixture evenly over the top of the peas.
- Spread the Cheddar cheese evenly over the top of the mayo mixture. Sprinkle the bacon evenly over the top of the cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
You can substitute a head of lettuce, chopped, for the bagged salad mix.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 491mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g
Don’t forget to pin it!