Y’all, we have had this Southwest Beef Bean & Barley Soup THREE times in the last two weeks. The first time I made it, Brian told me he could eat it every day – he liked it that much! This soup is a winner …. tried and true!
The first time I made this, I didn’t add the beef or tomatoes … It felt like something was missing. The second time, I added the beef, but still feel like it needed something else. The third time I added the tomatoes. Delish – and perfect!
This Southwest Beef Bean & Barley Soup is sooooo easy and so economical! You could easily make this vegetarian by leaving out the beef and switching the broth to vegetable broth.
My family really loved this soup …. I think it’s fair to say, we’ll be eating this often! I might even try a chicken version, too!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1-1 1/2 lb. beef stew meat, chopped into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 9 cups water
- 4 cups (one 32 oz. carton) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/3 cup dried black beans
- 1/3 cup dried great northern beans
- 1/3 cup dried kidney beans
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) petite-diced tomatoes
- Sour cream and green onions, optional
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the water, broth, barley, all of the beans, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Bring just to a lively simmer over high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours. Add more water as necessary or if desired. Add the salt and tomatoes. Continue to cook an additional 30-45 minutes or until the beans are tender.
- Top individual bowls with sour cream and green onions, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 759mgFiber: 8gSugar: 4gProtein: 25g
Other Posts You May Enjoy: