This Slow Cooker Tomato Soup is the perfect comfort food anytime! One part classic tomato soup and one part cheesy parmesan goodness. It’s the “grown-up” version of a childhood favorite.
Table of contents
Tomato Parmesan Soup
Y’all know I love soup and that I could eat it every day. Tomato soup is one of my faves in particular and unlocks so many really amazing childhood memories for me. Though I’ve outgrown tomato soup from a can, I’ve moved on to greener pastures. I like to make my own these days, especially this Slow-Cooker Parmesan Tomato Soup!!
This recipe is not so different from regular tomato soup that it’ll alert picky eaters. At the same time, however, it’s so much better than the stuff you get at the grocery store. With parmesan and other Italian flavors, it’s truly a step up from what you’d eat as a kid or what I ate as a kid. And it’s simple to make and oh-so-filling!
With winter in full swing, I’m sure y’all could use a Slow-Cooker Tomato Soup recipe just like this one!
Enjoy, and be sure to pair it with a wonderful homemade bread bowl too! This soup is so good that you will want to go back for seconds … maybe thirds!
Homemade Tomato Soup: Ingredients & Equipment
For this Slow Cooker Italian Parmesan Tomato Soup recipe, you’ll need …
- Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic, & Oregano – it’s important to get this brand or a similar one that includes basil, garlic, and oregano. These spices and seasonings will enhance the flavor of your soup!
- celery, carrots, onion – your added veggies.
- Italian seasoning – this completely elevates your tomato soup from “alright” to “awesome”!
- vegetable or chicken broth – whatever you prefer. One part of the “liquid” of your soup.
- butter, flour, half & half – these ingredients will thicken your soup into a lovely, rich consistency. Yum!! Think of it as the perfect mixture to create a cream for tomato soup.
- parmesan cheese – much like the Italian seasoning, this is another “flavor elevator” and a main part of the dish. Adding parmesan cheese really makes tomato soup just ten times better, y’all!
- salt and pepper – to taste, as always.
- slow cooker – any brand, just know your appliance! I recommend 5 quarts for this one.
- immersion blender or regular blender – if you prefer a smoother soup.
How to make Creamy Tomato Soup
First, put your initial ingredients in the slow cooker. Place the tomatoes, celery, carrots, onion, Italian seasoning, and broth in a 5-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on the LOW setting for 6-8 hours.
Next, prepare to add more ingredients for texture, consistency, and taste. (Essentially, you’re making a roux!!) About 30-45 minutes before serving the soup, melt the butter in a separate saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly, then slowly add the half-and-half as well. Cook this mixture until it’s thoroughly combined, remove the saucepan from the heat, and add parmesan cheese. Stir the cheese until it’s melted.
Finally, combine all your ingredients and enjoy! Add your flour/dairy mixture to the slow cooker and stir well. Cover the slow cooker and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes. Once it’s done, serve it right up!!
Tomato Soup in Slow Cooker: FAQs
Since this is a slow cooker recipe, keep in mind it will take about 8 and a half hours. However, 8 hours of that is just waiting for it to cook, so it’s mostly hands-off!
This should make 6-8 servings, more or less. Enough for a lovely dinner!
To be safe, let the soup cool to room temperature, then transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator and use it within 3-4 days. You could also freeze portions for 2-3 months!
Yes, you can add protein to Slow Cooker Tomato Soup. Some options include:
– Ground meat, such as beef or turkey
– Cooked, diced chicken breast
– Cooked lentils or beans, such as kidney beans or chickpeas
– Tofu, diced and added towards the end of the cooking time
Yes, you can make Tomato Soup without a slow cooker by using a stovetop pot or Dutch oven. Simply follow the recipe as directed, except cook the soup on the stove over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the flavors have melded together. This will likely take less time than cooking the soup in a slow cooker, so be sure to check the soup frequently and adjust the heat as needed.
Yes, you can add other vegetables to this soup. Some options include diced bell peppers, zucchini, squash, or sweet potatoes. Just be sure to dice the vegetables into small pieces so that they cook evenly in the slow cooker.
Yes! Some options include basil, oregano, thyme, cumin, or paprika. You can also add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little bit of heat.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Hunt's Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 carton (32 oz.) of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups half & half
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the tomatoes, celery, carrots, onion, Italian seasoning, and broth in a 5 qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- If you prefer a smoother soup, use an immersion blender or regular blender to process the soup (in batches, if necessary) until smooth. (If you used a regular blender, return the mixture back to the slow cooker.)
- About 30-45 minutes before serving, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly. Slowly add the half & half, whisking constantly. Cook mixture until smooth and thoroughly combined. Remove from the heat and add the Parmesan cheese. Stir until melted. Add this mixture to the slow cooker and stir well. Cover the slow cooker and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Be sure to check out the FAQs section of the blog post for suggested variations or how to make this soup without a slow cooker!
- Try serving this soup in my homemade bread bowls!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crockpot 8 Quart Slow Cooker with Auto Warm Setting and Cookbook, Black Stainless Steel
Extreme Freeze Deli Food Containers with Lids, 16-Ounce, 36-Pack
Extreme Freeze Deli Food Containers with Lids, 32-Ounce, 24-Pack
Medium 2 Quart Nonstick Saucepan with Glass Lid
500 Watt 9-Speed Immersion Multi-Purpose Hand Blender Heavy Duty Copper Motor Brushed 304 Stainless Steel With Whisk, Milk Frother Attachments
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, Non-Slip, Extra Large Thick Chopping Boards, Dishwasher Safe, Non-Porous, Set of 3
Chef Knife - 8 Inches
Lock N' Lift Manual Handheld Can Opener with Locking Mechanism
Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe)
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Slow Cooker Liners, Regular (Fits 3-8 Quarts), 12 Total, 6 Count (Pack of 2)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 656mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 10g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.
Originally published on June 3, 2014. Updated on December 28, 2022.