the flavors of a traditional tomato bisque but with less the calories.
will be sharing one of my favorite recipes with the friends and followers of
Love Bakes Good Cakes.
are always so warm, inviting and make the house smell amazing! I always tend to
lean towards soups that are creamy and have lots of cheese. So when I recently
made my favorite soup, Tomato Bisque I thought of trying to slim it down, using
fat-free milk, 1/3-less-fat-cream cheese and then just topped with a little
cheese, instead of adding it into the soup. Viola, it turned out amazing! So I
thought I would share this recipe, so that you can enjoy a soup classic but
with less calories. Cheers to a new year!
- 2 – 28 ounce cans whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup low-fat milk, non-fat or 1%
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- Pour both cans of tomatoes with their juices into a large sauce pan, bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once it comes to a boil reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure it isn't burning to the bottom.
- Pour tomatoes from the pan into a blender or food processor, add in the 1/3 cup of fresh basil and process until smooth.
- Return the pureed tomato mixture back into the original pan; add in milk, salt, garlic and pepper. Stir until well combined. Add in cream cheese, using a whisk stir while cooking over medium heat, until cream cheese is completely melted and soup has thickened a bit, about 5 minutes cooking
- Remove from heat and serve soup, garnish with basil, cheese and bread if desired.
- Store in an airtight container, in the fridge will last 3-5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 573Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 1125mgFiber: 5gSugar: 28gProtein: 19g