Warm up to this Light Creamy Tomato Bisque that has all the flavors of a traditional tomato bisque but with less the calories.
Light Creamy Tomato Bisque
Where every 2nd Friday of the month I, Sandra from A Dash of Sanity, will be sharing one of my favorite recipes with the friends and followers of Love Bakes Good Cakes.
I absolutely love soups for the fall and winter months, they are always so warm, inviting and make the house smell amazing! I always tend to lean towards soups that are creamy and have lots of cheese. So when I recently made my favorite soup, Tomato Bisque I thought of trying to slim it down, using fat-free milk, 1/3-less-fat-cream cheese and then just topped with a little cheese, instead of adding it into the soup. Viola, it turned out amazing! So I thought I would share this recipe, so that you can enjoy a soup classic but with less calories. Cheers to a new year!
Follow A Dash
Here are some of my favorite winter recipes, hope you come over and check them out.
- 2 – 28 ounce cans whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup low-fat milk, non-fat or 1%
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- Pour both cans of tomatoes with their juices into a large sauce pan, bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once it comes to a boil reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure it isn't burning to the bottom.
- Pour tomatoes from the pan into a blender or food processor, add in the 1/3 cup of fresh basil and process until smooth.
- Return the pureed tomato mixture back into the original pan; add in milk, salt, garlic and pepper. Stir until well combined. Add in cream cheese, using a whisk stir while cooking over medium heat, until cream cheese is completely melted and soup has thickened a bit, about 5 minutes cooking
- Remove from heat and serve soup, garnish with basil, cheese and bread if desired.
- Store in an airtight container, in the fridge will last 3-5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 573Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 1125mgFiber: 5gSugar: 28gProtein: 19g