The coupons for product redemption, information, and gift card have been provided by Oroweat® Bread. All opinions are my own.
This Lighter Chicken Salad Sandwiches recipe makes a great lunch or dinner idea!
A few weeks ago I heard that there was going to be a new restaurant opening here in the Phoenix area soon that specializes in all things chicken salad. I have to say – I’m pretty fond of a good chicken salad sandwich and I’ve already told Brian that when it opens we’ll have to go check it out … from what I understand they have more than 10 varieties of chicken salad! Holla!!
Since reading about the restaurant, I have been on a chicken salad kick …. but I wanted to lighten my recipe up a bit! I’m a bit fan of fruits and various textures in my chicken salad. Instead of using traditional mayonnaise, I made it a bit better for you by substituting Greek yogurt. I also swapped out my usual Oroweat® Whole Grains Sliced Breads for the new Oroweat® Healthfull® bread – have you seen it in your local markets? I went with the nuts and seeds variety because it sounded perfect for my Chicken Salad sandwich! 🙂
My family loves Oroweat® bread! There are so many great choices that fit all of our needs – we always have a few different loaves on hand! We especially love Oroweat® Sandwich Thins® Rolls, Oroweat® Whole Grains – 100% Whole Wheat variety and Healthy Multi-Grain variety … and we’re really enjoying the new Oroweat® Healthfull® bread varieties, too!
Here are a few more reasons to love Oroweat® bread:
- 2 to 5 grams of fiber per slice or thin
- Zero grams of Trans Fat
- No High Fructose Corn Syrup
- A cholesterol free food
The Oroweat® Healthfull® bread varieties contain/are:
- Made with 100% whole grains
- Good source of fiber
- 80 calories per serving
- No High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Heart healthy*
- Zero grams of Trans Fat
Health authorities recommend munching on 25-38 grams of fiber and 48 grams of whole grains per day, much of which may come from whole grain products like Oroweat® Whole Grains Sliced Breads or Oroweat® Sandwich Thins® Rolls varieties.
If you’re not sure of how many grams of whole grains you are getting, look for the Whole Grain Stamp found on all of Oroweat® Whole Grains Sliced Breads and Oroweat® Sandwich Thins® Rolls.
* Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol, and as low as possible in trans fat, may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
In addition, Oroweat® Bread is excited to launch their “2016 America’s Better Sandwich” Contest! The sandwich architect whose filling matches the goodness of Oroweat® Bread will win a grand prize of $25,000.
This year’s contest includes five (5) exciting sandwich categories including:
- “Open-Faced Artistry” (sandwiches are works of art for the world to see, and these snacks and meals should announce their nutritious ingredients—like bright beets or tasty tuna— sans second slice)
- “Breakfast in Bread” (these sandwiches, featuring nutrient rich breakfast favorites like eggs and yogurt, invoke images of cozy mornings in bed or boisterous brunches with friends)
- “Creative Classics” (nutritious spins on sandwich creations that have stood the test of time, such as grandma’s club sandwich, BLT or other old-time favorites)
- “Fueling Good” (these sandwiches should incorporate ingredients that help boost your energy such as healthful fats, protein, fiber and iron)
- “State Favorites” (whether it’s a well-known sandwich in the state you reside, or a must-have local dish that can transition into a sandwich, celebrate your state pride by re-creating these state favorites with better-for-you ingredients)
The recipe in each sandwich category with the highest score will receive a $5,000 category prize. Entries will be accepted June 15th – August 21st, online consumer voting will take place September 26th – October 23rd, and the winners will be announced on National Sandwich Day- November 3rd. Oroweat® bread will also donate one (1) loaf of bread (up to 100,000 loaves) to Feeding America for each valid entry submission during the entry period and vote received during the online voting phase of the “2016 America’s Better Sandwich” Contest. More information on the “2016 America’s Better Sandwich” Contest Official Rules and Donation Program terms and conditions can be found at http://www.americasbettersandwich.com.
NOTE: Oroweat® bread is available across the Western U.S. It can be found in the Midwestern U.S. as Brownberry® bread and in the Eastern U.S. as Arnold® bread.
- 1 cup PLAIN Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. seasoning salt
- 4 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 cup diced apple
- 1 cup grape halves or quarters
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- Ground pepper, to taste
- Any variety Oroweat® Healthfull® bread
- Lettuce leaves, washed and dried (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, paprika, and seasoning salt.
- Add the chicken, apple, grapes, cranberries, red onion, celery, and pecans. Mix well. Season to taste with ground pepper.
- Chill at least 1 hour, preferably 4-6 hours, before serving.
To assemble each sandwich:
- Top one slice of bread with approximately ¾-cup chicken salad. Top with a lettuce leaf, if desired. Add a second bread slice.
- Slice in half to serve, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 363mgFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 17g
Other Posts You May Enjoy: