Lemon Funfetti Cake with Lemon Curd Filling and Lemon Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting is so delicious. You will be hooked!
Lemon Funfetti Cake with Lemon Curd Filling and Lemon Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
I love baking cakes ….. not that my blog name would have given it away or anything! 😉 Of course my blog isn’t just about cakes – or evenly mostly about cakes – because who could eat that many cakes …. seriously?! Perhaps that’s a story for another time.
Our daughter turned 2 years old recently … and after four boys, it’s been fun doing girl things and buying girl stuff! I mean, I’ve waited 17 years to do this – since my oldest boy was born. All little girls love sparkles and sprinkles, right?! They just make the world a better place, don’t ya think?
I wanted something a little more fun than a plain vanilla cake and decided to make her a Lemon Funfetti Cake with Lemon Curd Filling and Lemon Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting. Trying to say that fives times fast. Yeah.
This cake had a nice lemon flavor that wasn’t overpowering. I loved the lemon curd between the layers – but you could totally use frosting if you choose to.
This cake is perfect for birthdays or baby showers. I think it would also be great in the Spring! I decided to top this cake with even more sprinkles – because who couldn’t use more sprinkles in their life? And of course, because they’re fun, why not?!
Other recipes you may enjoy
For the cake
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 container (1.75 oz.) rainbow sprinkles
For the frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Extra sprinkles
- Lemon Curd
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two round 8 or 9-inch cake pans. Set aside.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg whites.
- Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl. Add the lemon extract and one-third of the flour mixture. Mix well. Add half of the buttermilk mixture. Mix well. Repeat until all of the ingredients are added, ending with the flour mixture. Add the sprinkles and fold to incorporate.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle tests clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting by creaming the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add the marshmallow creme and mix well. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon extract.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, place one of the cake layers on a serving platter or a cake stand. Pipe a circle of frosting around the outside edge of the cake. Fill the circle with lemon curd. Place the other cake layer on the top. Frost the cake. If desired, decorate or top with additional sprinkles.
Store the cake in the refrigerator. Remove about 15 minutes prior to serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 566Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 269mgFiber: 1gSugar: 58gProtein: 5g
Originally published on November 20, 2013. Updated on April 24, 2021.