Last month I shared with you a fantastic pumpkin recipe which was just perfect timing for fall. And now that it is time for the holidays with parties, gift exchanges and eating galore I thought I would share a twist on a traditional holiday classic, Sweet Potato Casserole. This Cranberry Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole is just stunning. I literally didn’t want to eat it and I couldn’t stop taking photos. And friends it taste just as good as it looks. I love the sweetness from the orange zest and cranberries it is a perfect balance to the nuttiness of the pecans.
I love the holidays mainly because I love sharing food and recipes with others. Delivering meals, treats and loaves of bread is what brings me joy this time of year. What bring you happiness, share in the comments below. And here are a few of the recipes I will be sharing this year with my family and friends.
This year add this beautiful Cranberry Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole, your family and friends will devour it that is after they have oohed & awed.
Cranberry Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole
This Cranberry Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole has everything fall and the holidays ever imagined. The dark, rich red of cranberries, pecans coated in brown sugar and sweet potatoes which are a holiday must have.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2-3 large)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon packed, finely grated orange zest (from about half of a large orange)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F. Coat a 9-inch pie or baking dish with butter; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl add pecans, cranberries and brown sugar, toss to combine and set aside.
- Peel 2-3 sweet potatoes and slice evenly into 1/8-inch-thick rounds place in the pie pan, set aside.
- Melt together over the stove top or in the microwave the butter, maple syrup, orange zest, salt, and cinnamon. Pour over the potato slices and gently toss. Spread potatoes evenly in the pan. I laid mine in rows and they were leaning against each other check out the images to get an idea.
- Top the sweet potatoes with brown sugar mixture. Cover with foil and bake in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil after it has baked for 25 minutes and bake for an additional 20 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from oven, let it sit for 5 minutes and serve. Easy to make the day before and reheat.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 417kcal Calories from fat 188|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 21g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|