This Cranberry Orange Rice Crispy Treats recipe combines orange juice and zest paired with sweet, tart cranberries to give a new flavor twist to the classic crispy treats recipe!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Table of contents
Cranberry Orange Crispy Treats
Can you believe it took me over three years from when I first started writing this blog to put a rice krispy treats recipe on here?! Terrible, I know.
The thing is, my mom never really made them for us growing up, and I have only made them a handful of times myself. It’s one of those things I kinda forget about …
But these Cranberry Orange Rice Krispy Treats are totally unforgettable! Imagine crispy rice squares with added cranberry and orange flavor, and you’ve got this amazing little snack.
It’s a quick treat you’ll adore, and so will the kids!
I have to admit that aside from all things pumpkin, I also love the cranberry-orange flavor combo in the fall and winter … actually, who am I kidding? I love it all year long!
When I spotted this recipe for cranberry orange rice krispy treats, I knew they were perfect. I’m excited to share the recipe with you today.
A new delicious flavor of an old treat … what more could you ask for?! Enjoy!!
Rice Krispy Treats: Ingredients & Equipment
To make these crispy rice squares, you’ll need…
- butter or margarine, marshmallows – you can’t have rice krispy treats without the marshmallows that hold them all together, right?!
- orange juice, orange zest – for that tasty citrus flavor.
- chopped dried cranberries – this is the other half of your flavor, of course!!
- crisp rice cereal – the last and most key ingredient!
- 5-quart saucepan – to melt your marshmallows and combine them with your cranberries and rice cereal.
- 9×13-inch baking dish – well-greased with cooking spray!
How To Make Cranberry Orange Rice Krispy Treats
If you’ve ever made rice krispy treats homemade, you basically know this recipe already. But even if you haven’t, it’s simple!
First, cook your marshmallows. Melt margarine over low heat in a 5-quart or larger saucepan. Add the marshmallows and stir. Let the marshmallows melt completely, continuing to stir occasionally. Next, throw in the orange zest and juice, and when it’s combined, remove the mixture from the heat.
Second, add your rice cereal. Pour in your rice cereal and dried cranberries. Stir it until it’s covered with the marshmallow mixture. Spread the mixture into a greased/sprayed-down 9×13-inch baking dish. Push everything down evenly with greased hands or a spatula.
Finally, let the treats cool, then serve them! After the treats have cooled, cut them into 2-inch squares and serve them. Store them in an airtight container on the countertop when you’re not eating them!
Crispy Rice Squares: FAQs
It should produce around 24 cranberry orange rice crispy treats, more or less!
This is a quick and simple recipe that only takes 20 minutes. You’ll need 10 to prep the ingredients and 10 to cook them.
Either will work, but I recommend fresh orange juice if you can. Use the same orange that you get the zest from.
Bigger ones work too!! No real difference. Just cut them down to size.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 bag (10 oz.) mini marshmallows
- zest from one medium orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup roughly chopped dried cranberries
- Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a 5-quart or larger saucepan. Add the marshmallows and stir. Let the marshmallows melt completely, stirring occasionally. Add the orange zest and juice, and stir to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Pour in the rice cereal and dried cranberries, and stir until well combined and completely coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared dish. Push the cereal mixture down evenly with greased hands or a spatula. Allow the cereal mixture to cool completely and set, about 2 hours.
- Just before serving, cut into 2-inch squares.
- Store in an airtight container on the countertop.
- This recipe was originally shared as a cookbook review for Cute As a Fox.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Super Cute Crispy Treats: Nearly 100 Unbelievable No-Bake Desserts
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, Non-Slip, Extra Large Thick Chopping Boards, Dishwasher Safe, Non-Porous, Set of 3
Chef Knife - 8 Inches
Simply Calphalon Nonstick 10 Piece Cookware Set
Non-Stick 13 x 9-Inch Covered Oblong Baking Pan with Lids, Pack of 2
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.
Originally published on September 11. 2015. Updated on December 20, 2022.