A classic Mexican stew dating back hundreds of years, this Slow Cooker Chicken Posole is big on flavor! It’s the very definition of hearty, with protein-rich chicken and plenty of tasty veggies to boot.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Table of contents
Slow Cooker Chicken Posole
Soup is one of my favorite things, ever. We eat it year-round – even when it’s hotter than you know what outside!
As you can imagine, I have tons and tons of soup recipes, so though I’ve had this particular Slow Cooker Chicken Posole recipe for years, I don’t know where it originally came from!
And, aside from chili, this chicken posole is my absolute favorite soup! I wish I could thank whoever showed me how to make it or whoever originally wrote the recipe.
I especially love this Slow Cooker Posole because I can throw it all in the crockpot and let it do its thing. It smells ah-mazing, tastes even better, and there is little “work” involved!
But what IS chicken posole? Traditionally, it is made with pork but for this recipe we use chicken. Posole (or sometimes spelled pozole) is a traditional Mexican celebratory dish that’s been enjoyed for centuries, predating not just the Mayflower but even Columbus himself! No wonder it’s been around so long, it’s a fantastic combo of chicken, hominy, veggies, and spice.
Posole is more on the slightly unusual, lesser-known side of Mexican cuisine … but it’s still amazing and completely family friendly! It’s so good, y’all! Enjoy!!
Slow Cooker Chicken Posole: Ingredients & Equipment
For this Slow Cooker Chicken Posole recipe, you’ll need …
- yellow or white hominy – drained. Hominy comes from maize, and it’s basically the maize kernels treated with alkali. (This is an ancient process called “nixtamalization” and the science is actually SUPER fascinating. Hominy must go through this traditional process or else it’s not as healthy for you.) For those who haven’t had hominy before, it’s super filling and tastes a lot like corn! You can find it at the grocery store from brands like Goya.
- Mexican-style diced tomatoes, carrots, onions – the tasty veggies in this recipe, chopped and diced!
- mild green enchilada sauce – this sauce provides the kick to the posole. If you like super spicy dishes, though, you can go up a level from mild.
- cloves, cumin – your posole spices.
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts – you can also choose to use bone-in chicken parts, like thighs. Adding or keeping the bone in adds flavor! Just remember to take out the skin before the cooking and pull out the bones before serving.
- cilantro and lime wedges – optional toppings/garnishes for your posole.
- slow cooker – I use a 4 quart one for this recipe, so anything bigger than that will suffice.
Slow Cooker Chicken Posole: FAQs
Between 4 and 6, depending on serving sizes.
This recipe requires 20 minutes of prep, and 8 hours to cook. BUT, as with all slow cooker recipes, remember those 8 hours are entirely hands-off. It may not be quick, but it’s great if you don’t have the time to stand over a stove!
You can! Just let it cool down to room temperature first, then place it in a firm container. I actually don’t advise using freezer bags, as they might not be sturdy enough to hold the soup. Instead choose something like a Tupperware bowl or a freezer-friendly ceramic container. After that, it’ll last a good while, like, 3 months or so – a good while! Dinner prep has never been so easy.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1 can (15 oz.) yellow or white hominy, drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Mexican-style diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10 oz.) mild green enchilada sauce
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 3-4)
- chopped cilantro, for serving (optional)
- lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
- In a 4-quart or larger slow cooker, combine the hominy, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, carrots, onions, garlic, and cumin.
- Add the uncooked chicken and stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Stir chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Serve posole in bowls. Top with cilantro, if using. Serve with lime wedges and tortilla chips.
- Pork can be used in place of the chicken if desired.
- If you buy chicken with skin and bones, that's ok! Just be sure to remove the skin and bones before serving.
- Change things up! Red enchilada sauce can be used in place of the green enchilada sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Lock N' Lift Manual Handheld Can Opener with Locking Mechanism
Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, Non-Slip, Extra Large Thick Chopping Boards, Dishwasher Safe, Non-Porous, Set of 3
Chef Knife - 8 Inches
Crock-Pot Cook & Carry 6-Quart Oval Portable Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel
Slow Cooker Liners, Regular (Fits 3-8 Quarts), 12 Total, 6 Count (Pack of 2)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 242mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 37g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.
Originally published on September 1, 2012. Updated on August 14, 2022.