We had this Italian Breakfast Strata on Christmas morning. I actually forgot about this until I was going through my picture folders and ran across it again! If you’re a blogger, I’m sure you’ve done it as well! Good intentions, bad follow through. Of course, this recipe is too good not to share with y’all!
If you’re looking for a great Easter or weekend breakfast – look no further! This Italian Breakfast Strata is easy to prepare since it starts the night before. In the morning, top it with some cheese and bake! Easy peasy! We enjoy it with a fruit salad.
This would also be a great dinner idea, for those who like breakfast for dinner! Just make sure sure you plan ahead since the bread does need some time to soak up the milk and eggs.
I hope you and your family enjoy! 🙂
Italian Breakfast Strata
If you're looking for a great Easter or weekend breakfast - look no further! This Italian Breakfast Strata is easy to prepare since it starts the night before. In the morning, top it with some cheese and bake! Easy peasy! We enjoy it with a fruit salad.
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 each - green and red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 (14-16 oz.) loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-in. cubes
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook and crumble the sausage with the peppers in a skillet over medium-high heat until the sausage is cooked through. Drain. Return the sausage mixture to the pan and add the tomatoes. Set aside.
- Place the bread cubes in a very large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk and basil. Stir the sausage mixture into the bread. Add 1 cup of the cheese and mix well. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Reserve the remaining 1 cup of cheese for later use. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight - or at least 8 hours.
- (PLEASE NOTE - I would personally suggest removing glass baking dishes from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking. If you are using a metal/aluminum baking dish, it is ok to go directly into the oven.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle the Strata with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Spray one side of a piece of aluminum foil big enough to cover the dish with cooking spray and place sprayed side down over the casserole. Seal.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 719kcal Calories from fat 400|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 44g||68%|
|Saturated Fat 18g||90%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
I hope you enjoy! Shared at these
Don’t forget to share and comment ♥
Where you can find Love Bakes Good Cakes:
Copyright © Love Bakes Good Cakes 2012-2013 All Rights Reserved