This Mexican Street Corn Salad features a zesty blend of spices, roasted corn, and fresh herbs. It’s perfect for any occasion. Get ready for a flavor explosion!
Table of contents
Mexican Street Corn Salad Recipe
Mexican street corn, also known as elote, is a popular street food in Mexico and is a must-try for anyone visiting the country. Traditionally, it is made by grilling corn on the cob, smothering it with a mixture of mayonnaise, sour cream, and cheese, and sprinkling it with chili powder and lime juice. The result is a creamy and savory dish that explodes with flavor.
However, if you’re looking for a way to enjoy the delicious taste of Mexican street corn in a more convenient and easy-to-eat format, then Mexican Street Corn Salad is the perfect solution for you. This salad is a deconstructed version of the classic street food, featuring all the same flavors and ingredients, but without the mess.
One of the best things about Mexican Street Corn Salad is that it is incredibly versatile. It can be served as a side dish alongside grilled meats, or as a main dish by adding protein like grilled chicken or shrimp. It can even be used as a topping for tacos, nachos, or burrito bowls for an extra burst of flavor.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it is easy to make. You can prepare the salad in advance and chill it in the fridge until ready to serve, making it a great option for busy weeknights or for entertaining guests.
Mexican Street Corn Salad is a delicious and easy-to-make twist on classic Mexican street food. With its creamy texture, bold flavors, and versatility, it’s no wonder that it has become a popular dish in its own right. So, the next time you’re looking for a refreshing and flavorful salad, give Mexican Street Corn Salad a try – you won’t be disappointed!
Mexican Corn Salad recipe: Ingredients & Equipment
Elevate your salad game with our Mexican Street Corn Salad! A burst of flavors from charred corn, cotija cheese, and tangy lime dressing. Since this salad is often served chilled, it is the perfect refreshing side dish for any summer BBQ or picnic.
To make this Mexican Street Corn Salad, you will need …
- vegetable oil, fresh corn, and salt – used to char your corn before being added to the salad.
- mayonnaise, cotija cheese, green onion, cilantro leaves, jalapeño pepper, garlic, lime juice, and chili powder – these ingredients combine to make the dressing for the salad.
For added flavor and texture, consider adding red onion, jalapeno peppers, or diced tomatoes to the salad.
- large non-stick skillet – to char your corn to give it that authentic elote taste.
- large mixing bowl and spatula/wooden spoon – for mixing and combining your salad.
How to make Mexican Street Corn Salad
Char the corn. Start by heating the oil over high heat until shimmering. Then, add the corn kernels and season them to taste with salt. Stir once and let cook without moving the corn until it is charred on one side. Next, stir the corn and repeat until charred on the second side. Continue stirring and charring until well charred all over. Then, transfer the corn to a large bowl.
Add the dressing. Add the mayonnaise, cotija cheese, green onions, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice, and chili powder to the bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and more chili powder to taste.
Serve. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving time.
Easy Mexican Street Corn Salad: FAQs
About 6 servings, depending on portion sizes, of course.
Mexican Street Corn Salad is a deconstructed version of the classic Mexican street food, elote. It typically features grilled corn, cotija cheese, fresh cilantro, and a tangy lime dressing. Some variations may also include red onion, jalapeno peppers, or diced tomatoes.
It can be a healthy option depending on the ingredients used. Grilled corn is a good source of fiber and antioxidants, while cilantro is rich in vitamins and minerals. However, the dish can be high in calories and fat if it contains a lot of mayonnaise or cheese. To make the salad healthier, you can use a lighter dressing or reduce the amount of cheese.
Yes, it can be made ahead of time and chilled in the fridge until ready to serve. In fact, the flavors will meld together even better if you allow the salad to sit for a few hours or overnight.
This salad is a great side dish for grilled meats, tacos, nachos, or burrito bowls. You can also add a protein like grilled chicken or shrimp to make it a main dish.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 4-6 ears fresh corn, shucked, kernels removed (about 3-4 cups fresh corn kernels)
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 oz. cotija cheese, finely crumbled
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and membranes removed, finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves. minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- chili powder, to taste
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over high heat until shimmering. Add the corn kernels and season to taste with salt. Stir once and let the corn cook without moving until charred on one side, about 2-3 minutes. Stir corn and repeat until charred on the second side, about 2 minutes longer. Continue stirring and charring until well charred all over, about 10-12 minutes total. Transfer the corn to a large bowl.
- To the corn, add mayonnaise, cotija cheese, green onions, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice, and chili powder and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and more chili powder to taste.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving time.
- This salad can be served immediately while warm or refrigerated and served later cold. This salad can be made ahead of time and chilled in the fridge until ready to serve. In fact, the flavors will meld together even better if you allow the salad to sit for a few hours or overnight.
- Frozen corn that has been thawed and drained can be used in place of fresh corn.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, Non-Slip, Extra Large Thick Chopping Boards, Dishwasher Safe, Non-Porous, Set of 3
Chef Knife - 8 Inches
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Nonstick-Hard-Anodized, 12-Inch, Skillet w/Glass Cover
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 274mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.
Originally published on July 6, 2015. Updated on April 13, 2023.