This is one of those recipes that reminds me of my Grandma. It is total comfort food. There aren’t a lot of ingredients and not much work – but it is quite tasty and filling! We have also made this recipe with turkey and chicken, substituting chicken broth for the beef broth. It’s a great way to use leftover turkey after the holidays, too! We always enjoy this with mashed potatoes and some sort of veggie … and gravy – homemade gravy … lots of it! Homemade gravy really is the best … don’t be intimidated by making your own! It’s really pretty easy. I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine!
- 2-3 lb. chuck roast
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) beef broth
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Additional salt and pepper, if desired
- Bread slices
- Place roast in a crockpot. Sprinkle roast with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour the beef broth around the roast. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or until beef easily shreds with a fork. Remove roast from the crockpot and shred beef.
- In a medium pan, add all of the broth from the crockpot into the pan. Cook over medium-high heat until hot. Stir cornstarch and water together in a small bowl or cup. Add to pan. Lower heat to medium and stir constantly with a wire whisk. Bring to a boil and boil for 1-2 minutes or until the gravy thickens. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Place a bread slice on a plate. Top with shredded beef. Place another bread slice on top. Cut sandwich in half, corner to corner, forming two triangles. Pour hot gravy over the top.
**If you like a lot of gravy or are planning on eating this with mashed potatoes, I would definitely suggest doubling the gravy portion of this recipe if you are feeding the stated 8-10 servings! (2 cans of beef broth, 4 tbsp. cornstarch and ½ cup cold water.) Still use one can of broth to cook with the roast - when it's time to make the gravy, use the broth from the crockpot and the additional can of broth.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 483mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 31g
I hope you enjoy!
Shared at these
Copyright © Love Bakes Good Cakes 2012 All Rights Reserved