This Ginger & Garlic Green Tea Stir Fry has a healthy mixture of veggies and tofu infused with delicious garlic, ginger, and green tea sauce.
I started off 2017 promising myself that I would try to incorporate more fruits and veggies, and meatless dishes into my family’s menu. We’ve been doing a pretty good job with our goal. Through the months, I have found that stir-fries full of veggies are a big hit with my family. They’re a great way to get my kids to eat lots of veggies willingly!
But here’s the thing … as much as I love all of those sticky, sweet sauces you usually associate with stir-fry, I really wanted to keep things on the lighter side.
Ginger & Garlic Green Tea Stir Fry
I first tried green tea at one of our local restaurants when we lived in North Carolina. Not only has it become my favorite tea to drink, but I have also loved experimenting with it by adding it to recipes. Recipes like this Garlic & Ginger Green Tea Stir Fry! Next up, I want to try it in cookies … shortbread perhaps?! … I know it sounds crazy, but I think it will be awesome!
Other recipes you may enjoy
For the green tea
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons HemisFares Sencha Loose-Leaf Green Tea
For the Jasmine Green Tea Rice
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 3 cups green tea, made above
- 1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup green tea, made above
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into strips
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchstick pieces
- 12 ounces broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- toasted sesame seeds, optional
For the Green Tea:
- Place water in a medium saucepan. Bring to just before boiling. Remove from heat and add loose tea leaves. Cover and allow to steep to 2 minutes. Strain tea through a mesh screen into a clean container.
- Discard tea leaves.
For the Jasmine Green Tea Rice:
- Cook rice according to package directions, substituting green tea for the water.
For the Sauce:
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients with a whisk. Set aside.
For the Stir Fry:
- Heat a large skillet with 1 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add the tofu pieces and brown on all sides. Remove the tofu to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining 1 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots, cooking one minute. Add the red bell pepper strips, carrots, broccoli, and mushrooms. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables are barely tender-crisp.
- Whisk the sauce to make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed and then pour the sauce over the vegetables. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly and the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Serve stir-fry over rice. Garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 485Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 816mgFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 19g