Today, I’m sharing a Southern Tea Cake recipe with y’all …. If I had to compare it to something, I’d tell you they are like sugar cookies, but not as sweet and more “cake-like”, but not really a cake. (Do I have you confused enough yet?!) They are great with afternoon tea or a cup of coffee. If you prefer them a little sweeter, you can mix up an easy glaze and dip them – but I like ’em just plain ol’ regular. 😉
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. buttermilk
- Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add 1-1/4 cups sugar and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Add eggs; beat well.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Add to beaten mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake in a 350° oven for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges.
- Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 92Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 46mgFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g