The perfect addition to game day – or a weeknight dinner! These Chili Cheese Burritos are full of a quick and easy homemade beefy chili filling, topped with plenty of Cheddar cheese and freshly chopped onions!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Chili Cheese Burrito recipe
My family has been enjoying these Chili Cheese Burritos for almost 2 years now!
Back in high school and shortly thereafter, I used to work at Taco Bell. We rarely eat there these days, but back in the day, Taco Bell was my jam. I loved their food!
Over the years, their menu has changed so much. Do any of y’all remember the “Chilito” being on their menu?! It was a chili cheese burrito. It was rumored that they took it off the menu because of what chilito means in Spanish! Although I cannot confirm this, it never stopped the rumors! You can decide for yourself! 😂
Nowadays, if I want one of these burritos, I can easily make them at home! Personally, we love sharing them on game day – and everyone loves them! This is a mildly-seasoned chili with beef and beans. If you like it hotter, you can easily adjust the cayenne pepper or jalapeños to your liking. I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we do!
Other recipes you may enjoy
Chili Cheese Burrito
The perfect addition to game day - or a weeknight dinner! These Chili Cheese Burritos are full of a quick and easy homemade beefy chili filling, topped with plenty of Cheddar cheese and fresh chopped onions!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons jarred jalapeño slices, minced
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 can (16 oz.) refried beans
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 large burrito-sized tortillas, warmed
Additional ingredients for serving
- Finely chopped onion, cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown and crumble the ground beef with the onion until the beef is no longer pink.
- To the skillet, add the tomato paste, vinegar, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, jalapeño, and 2¼ cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 8-10 minutes. Carefully stir in the refried beans and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add the cornstarch with ¼ cup of cold water and mix well. Immediately pour into the skillet with the beef mixture and stir until the mixture becomes thick.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and immediately stir in the 2 cups of cheese.
- To serve: Spoon ¾-1 cup of the chili mixture onto the middle of each tortilla. Top with additional onion and cheese, if desired. Roll up tortilla burrito-style and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 473Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 969mgFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 32g
These burritos sound fantastic! I like the idea of putting the skillet on the table & letting all the guests make their own. I also see a burrito meal in our future. 🙂
Jamie–these are great. I have not made a homemade chili cheese burrito before, but now I am craving one 🙂