If you’re looking for some Mexican cuisine to begin your morning, you can’t go wrong with this simple Breakfast Tostada recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Table of contents
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I have to admit, I have a hard time eating breakfast, y’all. Mine usually consists of toast and coffee! I’m pretty sure that’s not what all the “scientific diet doctor people” would tell you is the best way to start your day …
Not to mention I’m just not a breakfast person! You all know this! But the other morning, I was wanting breakfast, and I wanted something different. I came up with these breakfast tostadas with stuff I already had on hand, and I have to admit, they were pretty good!
Imagine a tostada shell topped with your Mexican favorites like refried beans and cheese, then eggs cooked to your preference … it’s enough to make anyone love breakfast, even me!
This is a great recipe to use up the rest of your ingredients if you had a huge Mexican fiesta the night before. Plus, it’s super filling and super energizing, not to mention tasty.
Honestly, I may have this for lunch or dinner sometimes, too. It is that hearty. Enjoy!
Breakfast Tostada: Ingredients & Equipment
For these Breakfast Tostadas, you’ll need …
- refried beans – if you’re like me, you have these on hand in a can already, or you can reuse leftovers from a Mexican dinner.
- eggs – 1-2 large ones. Cook them how you like. Eggs and refried beans are a great, filling combination – hats off to whoever invented it! While my family prefers scrambled eggs, you can make this with any kind of eggs you like! Poached, fried, sunny-side up, over easy, over medium, or over hard are all great choices.
- tostada shell – can’t be a tostada without one!
- shredded cheddar cheese – a standard Mexican food topping!
- salsa, guacamole, avocado slices, pico de gallo, sour cream, etc – your optional other toppings. These are also ingredients you probably have on hand, either because you keep them in the house all the time or as leftovers.
- none needed, except some counter space to put it all together!
NOTE: If you use a corn-based tostada shell and double-check all your ingredients, this recipe is gluten-free! Great for anyone out there with special dietary needs, or if you need something to serve up to someone you know has some allergen issues.
Breakfast Tostada: FAQs
Just one! But it’s an easy recipe to double, triple, etc.
You’ll only need about 15 minutes or less to gather your ingredients and heat them. Super quick!
No tostada shells? No worries! Fry corn tortillas flat in oil until they’re crispy, then drain them on paper towels before use.
Oh, lots! (I know in many Mexican-type recipes, the cheese can make or break it!) Try …
– Queso fresco
– Mexican blend
Besides salt and pepper, if you want even more flavor, try …
– garlic/garlic powder
– onions/onion powder
– chili powder
– lime juice (not a seasoning, technically, but still a great addition)
You can use them as toppings or you can blend them into the refried beans, or both!
Try adding cooked and crumbled bacon, cooked ground sausage, leftover taco meat or chorizo – or any other yummy things you enjoy with tacos or tostadas!
Other recipes you may enjoy
- tostada shell
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup warm refried beans
- 1-2 large eggs, cooked to your preference
- shredded Cheddar cheese
- salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream - for serving
- Spread the warmed beans on the tostada shell.
- Top with egg(s) cooked to your preference. Sprinkle with cheese.
- To serve, top with salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream.
- No tostada shells? No worries! Fry corn tortillas flat in oil until crispy. Drain on paper towels before use.
- While my family prefers scrambled eggs, you can make this with any kind of eggs you like! Poached, sunny-side up, over easy, over medium, or over hard are all great choices!
- Try adding cooked and crumbled bacon, cooked ground sausage, leftover taco meat or chorizo - or any other yummy things you enjoy with tacos or tostadas!
- This recipe is a great way to use leftovers from taco night!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 tostada
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 407mgSodium: 867mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 22g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.
Originally published on May 16, 2012. Updated on June 22, 2022.