Mexican rice makes a hearty side dish for so many recipes. It is almost a staple. Add it to your next lunch or dinner for more smiles.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Stir in the rice and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally until the rice begins to puff and turn golden.
- Add the green pepper, jalapeno, chopped tomato, and garlic. Pour in the chicken broth, chicken bouillon, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes before fluffing the rice with a fork. If desired, stir in the chopped cilantro or use it as a garnish.
- Serve immediately.
- Make the flavors pop by adding a squeeze of lime juice to the rice after cooking.
- For best results, once the rice mixture has come to a boil and the lid is placed on top - DO NOT PEEK!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons (Fits in Spice Jar) Set of 6
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Contemporary Self-sharpening 20-piece Knife Block Set
Cutting Board Set, 15-Inch by 20-Inch by 1/2-Inch, Assorted Colors
Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
Simply Calphalon Nonstick 10 Piece Cookware Set
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 71Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 439mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary greatly between brands. Always be sure to read labels.
Originally published on May 3, 2012. Updated on April 20, 2021.