Mexican rice makes a hearty side dish for so many recipes. It is almost a staple. Add it to your next lunch or dinner for more smiles.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup long-grain rice, rinsed
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated chicken bouillon
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated tomato-chicken bouillon
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Stir in the rice and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally until the rice begins to puff and turn golden.
- Stir in the garlic. Carefully pour in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, chicken bouillon, and tomato-chicken bouillon. Stir to combine ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes before fluffing the rice with a fork.
- Serve immediately.
- Make the flavors pop by adding a squeeze of lime juice to the rice after cooking.
- For best results, once the rice mixture has come to a boil and the lid is placed on top - DO NOT PEEK!
- If desired, add some chopped green bell pepper or jalapeno pepper and /or a chopped Roma tomato when adding the broth.
- Try this recipe topped with chopped cilantro - or try stirring some into the rice while it cooks!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Contemporary Self-sharpening 20-piece Knife Block Set
Cutting Board Set, 15-Inch by 20-Inch by 1/2-Inch, Assorted Colors
Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
Simply Calphalon Nonstick 10 Piece Cookware Set
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 71Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 439mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary greatly between brands. Always be sure to read labels.
Originally published on May 3, 2012. Updated on April 20, 2021.