Experience the taste of this easy-to-make Apple Tart, with a blend of fresh apples and a flaky crust. A must-try dessert that’s great for family gatherings or simply indulging your cravings.
Table of contents
Apple Tart Recipe
There’s a timeless allure to the Apple Tart, a classic dessert that has graced tables for generations. While the recipe can vary in complexity, the core elements remain constant: quality ingredients, a perfect balance of sweetness and spice, and the harmonious marriage of flavors and textures.
What makes the Apple Tart so universally loved is the balance it strikes between its ingredients. The apples, of course, are the stars of the show. Freshly sliced and beautifully layered, they bring a natural sweetness and tartness that are quintessentially “apple.”
Paired with a combination of sugars, the fruit takes on a delightful caramel-like flavor. A dash of spices adds layers of complexity to the mix, making each bite a burst of varied taste sensations.
The flaky, buttery crust contrasts exquisitely with the soft, juicy apple slices. And let’s not forget that divine moment when the crust has reached its golden-brown peak, delivering a satisfying crunch as you dig in.
The beauty of the Apple Tart Puff Pastry recipe lies in its adaptability. This is a dessert that can grace the table at a casual weekend brunch, yet wouldn’t be out of place at a sophisticated dinner party. Its universal appeal makes it an excellent choice for almost any occasion.
Some people love to top their tart with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, while others might opt for a sprinkle of powdered sugar or a drizzle of caramel.
This Apple Tart recipe embodies simplicity, elegance, and a rich tapestry of flavors and textures. It’s a dessert that speaks to the soul, invoking nostalgia while offering new delights with every bite.
It’s more than just a combination of fruit, sugar, and pastry – it’s a testament to how the most basic ingredients can be transformed into something extraordinarily special.
Apple Tart Puff Pastry Recipe: Ingredients & Equipment
To make Apple Tarts, you will need …
- frozen puff pastry – this will be the easy base for the tart. You will need to thaw it before using it in this recipe.
- apples – pared and sliced thin. You can’t have an apple dessert without them!
- light brown sugar, granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, salt, and ground nutmeg – all the yummy seasonings to transform your tart into a delicious masterpiece!
- bowl – for combining ingredients.
- pizza cutter – to easily and quickly cut the pastry.
- knife or peeler and cutting board – to prepare the apples.
- baking sheet – to bake the tart.
How to make an Apple Tart
Preheat the oven and prepare a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 400°F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Cut the puff pastry. Unfold the puff pastry sheet and cut the sheet in half with a pizza cutter.
Prepare the apples. Pare and slice the apples into thin slices. Add the slices to a large bowl.
Combine ingredients. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg to the apples. Gently mix the sugar and spices with the apples and let them sit for 5 minutes.
Arrange the apples. Lay the apple slices in a line (overlapping as you go) on top of the puff pastry sheet.
Bake. Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 18 minutes or until puff pastry is golden and flakey.
Cool slightly and top before serving. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the pastry cool for a few minutes before serving with your favorite toppings.
Apple Tart: FAQs
While personal preferences can vary, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Fuji apples are often recommended for their balance of sweetness and tartness.
Absolutely! A homemade pastry can add a personal touch to your Apple Tart. Just be mindful of the cooking time, as it may differ.
Yes, you can omit cinnamon if you prefer. Other spices like cardamom or allspice can be used as a substitute to add flavor.
An Apple Tart can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature or up to a week if refrigerated.
Yes, it can be frozen for up to three months. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil before freezing.
Popular options include whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, and caramel sauce. A sprinkle of powdered sugar is also a classic choice.
You can reduce the amount of sugar or use apples that are less sweet to bring down the sweetness level of your tart.
A scoop of vanilla ice cream is a classic pairing, but you can also serve it with a side of custard, a dollop of crème fraîche, or even a cheese platter for contrast.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 2 large or 3 small apples, pared and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheet on the baking sheet and cut the sheet in half the long way with a pizza cutter. Set the baking tray aside.
- Pare and slice the apples into thin slices. Add the slices to a large bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg to the apples. Gently mix the sugar and spices with the apples and let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Lay the apple slices in a line (overlapping as you go) on top of the puff pastry sheet. Divide the apples between both pieces of puff pastry.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 18 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden and flaky.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the pastry cool for a few minutes before serving with your favorite toppings.
- Popular topping options include whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, and caramel sauce. A sprinkle of powdered sugar is also a classic choice.
- This Apple Tart recipe can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature or up to a week if refrigerated.
- It can be frozen for up to three months. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil before freezing. Fully unwrap the tart and allow it to thaw completely before serving. If desired, it can be reheated in the oven or microwave prior to serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
4-Inch Pizza Wheel, Stainless Steel
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Silicone Pot Holder Trivet Mats - Hot Pads Spoon Rest, Multipurpose Trivet for Hot Dishers Heat Resistant Food Grade Silicone Set of 4
Chef Knife - 8 Inches
Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, Non-Slip, Extra Large Thick Chopping Boards, Dishwasher Safe, Non-Porous, Set of 3
Apple Peeler and Corer with Countertop Suction Cup
15-Inch Nonstick Baking Sheet
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 78Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 20mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 0g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.