I realized that I don’t have too many side dishes posted ….. what is up with that?! I guess I need to start sharing some of those with y’all as well! 🙂
Yesterday, I shared my recipe for Spicy Southwest Meatloaf and I told y’all I would be sharing these awesome Taco Tatos with you today! In my humble opinion, these are the perfect side dish with that meatloaf! I think they would be equally great with some sort of Southwest seasoned grilled meat as well. Although I have never tried it yet, I would be tempted to cook the potatoes in foil right along with the meat and save myself some clean-up!
This is one of those side dishes that there is never any leftovers …. my kiddos gobble this stuff up like it’s their last meal! I hope you’ll give it a try – and if anyone tries cooking them in foil on the grill, I’d love to hear back as to how they turned out …. and if I make them that way, I’ll be sure to update this post! 🙂
- 6 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-in. cubes
- 1/2 cup butter, melted or 1/4- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- Salsa and Sour Cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large ziplock bag, combine the potatoes, butter and taco seasoning. Seal the bag. Shake and squeeze to make sure the potatoes are evenly coated. Spread into the prepared pan in a single layer.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the potatoes are tender - flip twice with a spatula during cooking to ensure even browning. Remove from the oven and the sprinkle cheese over the top. Return to the oven for another 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with bacon and green onions.
- Serve with salsa or sour cream if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 855Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 848mgFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 22g