These Taco Tatos are the life of the party! We have them as a side dish, but you could almost make a main dish out of them they are that good!
I realized that I don’t have too many side dishes posted ….. what is up with that?! I guess I need to start sharing some of those with y’all as well! 🙂
Yesterday, I shared my recipe for Spicy Southwest Meatloaf. I told y’all I would be sharing these awesome Taco Tatos with you today! In my humble opinion, these are the perfect side dish with that meatloaf!
I think they would be equally great with a Southwest seasoned grilled meat as well. Although I have never tried it yet, I would be tempted to cook the potatoes in foil right along with the meat. I could and save myself some clean-up!
This is one of those side dishes that there is never any leftovers …. my kiddos gobble this stuff up like it’s their last meal! I hope you give these a try – and if anyone tries cooking them in foil on the grill, I’d love to hear back as to how they turned out. If I make them that way, I’ll be sure to update this post! 🙂
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (or olive oil)
- 1 packet (1 oz.) taco seasoning
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- salsa and sour cream, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large ziplock bag or bowl, combine the potatoes, butter, and taco seasoning. If using a bag, seal the bag. Shake and squeeze to make sure the potatoes are evenly coated. If using a bowl, stir until the potatoes are well-coated. Spread the coated potatoes into the prepared pan in a single layer.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the potatoes are tender - flip twice with a spatula during cooking to ensure even browning.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the cheese over the top of the potatoes. Return to the oven for another 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with bacon and green onions.
- Serve with salsa or sour cream if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 694mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 15g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.
Originally published on June 28, 2013. Updated on April 23, 2021.