The truth is, we don’t eat a lot of fish or seafood at our house. Brian isn’t particularly fond of it … and I didn’t eat much of it growing up – so my knowledge of how to cook or prepare it is severely lacking compared to other things. However, this Spanish Tilapia, is one of the few fish dishes I adapted from a version my mom makes!
The extent of my fish or seafood experience growing up amounted to frozen fish sticks or clams, salmon patties and tuna sandwiches. No joke. I remember us having shark steak once ….. and something with shrimp maybe a handful of times? As a kid, I actually had it in my mind that “I didn’t like that kind of stuff” because, well, I never really had it.
As an adult, I am more adventurous in my eating (have I ever told y’all the story of my friend Ty and I at the Chinese restaurant?! Bahahaha!! If not, I’ll have to enlighten you to my shenanigans! Be forewarned, you may never want to be seen dining with me in public!) – and I have tried several fish and/or seafood dishes that I have enjoyed. Almost all of those experiences have been at restaurants – because I have no clue what I’m doing with those dishes. I’m learning, though! 🙂
This Spanish Tilapia is super easy and budget-friendly. I serve it with Saffron Rice and usually some sort of green veggie.
- 1 lb. tilapia fillets
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- A swirl of olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup slice black olives
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- Cooked rice or pasta, for serving (optional)
- Season the tilapia with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion softens, about 4-5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, black and green olives and lemon. Bring just to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Add the fish to the skillet and cook for 7-9 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Discard the lemon slices.
- Serve with rice or pasta.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 600mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 24g
I hope you enjoy! Shared at these
Don’t forget to share and comment ♥
Copyright © Love Bakes Good Cakes 2012-2013 All Rights Reserved