Snickerdoodle Cupcakes start with a doctored-up boxed cake mix before being topped with luscious from-scratch cinnamon buttercream. Kids and adults alike will love this cinnamon goodness!
Snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies – I love the vanilla and cinnamon-y goodness. I thought it would be fun to make a cupcake with the same cinnamon flavor. Plus, with such a fun name, what’s not to love? It kind of sounds like a party, right?
This recipe starts with a boxed cake mix that is doctored up with plenty of cinnamon. It is then topped with plenty of delectable and luscious vanilla-cinnamon frosting. They are so good, y’all!
If you’re looking for something a little nit different than the typical chocolate or vanilla treats, then you have to give this recipe a try!
What flavor is Snickerdoodle?
Typically, it refers to a vanilla-flavored cookie, cake, or other dessert that is coated in cinnamon and sugar.
Snickerdoodle Cupcakes FAQs
COUNTER: Stored in an airtight container, they are best consumed within 3-4 days.
FRIDGE: Stored in an airtight container, they are best consumed within 5-7 days.
YES! You can freeze cupcakes!
UNFROSTED – Make sure the cupcakes are completely cool. Wrap each cupcake individually in plastic wrap and then place them in an airtight freezer-safe container.
FROSTED – Personally, I prefer to freeze unfrosted cupcakes because I love the taste of fresh frosting – but if you need to know how to use this option, freezing them can be done! Place the cooled and frosted cupcakes in a single layer on a baking sheet and place them in the freezer until the frosting has frozen about 2 hours. Wrap each cupcake individually in plastic wrap and place them in a single layer in an airtight freezer-safe container.
For UNFROSTED or FROSTED: Be sure to use them within 3 months. When you’re ready to defrost them, peel off the plastic wrap and let them sit on the counter until thawed completely.
- Do not overfill the wells. I aim to fill my pans 2/3 to 3/4 full. I like to use a large scoop for perfectly portioned and equally-portioned treats.
- Be careful not to overmix your batter.
- Bake on the middle rack.
- Rotate your pans halfway through the baking time.
- Be sure your cupcakes have had plenty of time to cool completely before frosting.
Other recipes you may enjoy
For the cake
- 1 package (15.25 oz) plain white cake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the frosting
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 3-3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3-4 tablespoons water or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin baking pan with 24 paper liners and set it aside.
- Place the cake mix, milk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer until well combined. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2 more minutes more, scraping the sides down again, if needed. The batter should look well combined. Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Place the pans in the oven side by side.
- Bake the cupcakes until they are golden brown and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, about 15-20 minutes. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove them to wire racks to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by placing the butter in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, 30 seconds. Stop the machine and add the powdered sugar, 3 tbsp. milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Blend with the mixer on low until the sugar is incorporated, about 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, 1 minute more. Blend in up to 1 tablespoon milk if the frosting seems stiff.
- Spread or pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes.
These cupcakes can be kept, covered in the refrigerator, for up to 1 week.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
32-Piece Cake Decorating Tools Supplies Kit
Ice Cream Scoop With Trigger Lever and Comfort Grip Handle, Green, 1-pack
Snap 'N Stack 2-Layer Cookie, Cake, Cupcake and Brownie Storage Carrier (BPA Free Plastic, Holds Up to a Quarter-Sheet Cake)
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Standard Size White Cupcake Paper/Baking Cup/Cup Liners, Pack of 500
Cupcake and Muffin Pan, 12 Well, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe)
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Hand Mixer with Snap-On Case
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 0gSugar: 55gProtein: 2g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary greatly between brands. Always be sure to read labels.
Originally published on October 1, 2013. Updated on June 8, 2021.