Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala – Chicken slow cooked with the aromatic spices of Indian food. Your favorite Indian dish has never been so easy, thanks to this recipe!
Are you adventurous when it comes to trying new food? You know every family seems to have that one picky eater …. in my family, I have two. My husband and my 5-year-old daughter. The 5-year-old, I kind of understand. If you ask my husband about our restaurant excursions, he will tell you that I try to “drag him to all of the exotic places” – while he tends to stay with things he’s familiar with. Pizza. Hamburgers. And chicken. Seriously, he would only pick about five restaurants ever … okay, maybe six on a good day.
Don’t get me wrong – sometimes, familiar is okay … but other times, it’s good to step outside of that box. Ya know what I mean?
Here’s the thing … he kinda knew when he married me that I will try almost anything once and he also knows I have a long bucket list of things I want to try. Mostly, he agreed to be a part of all of that … right?!
The funny thing is, whenever we plan trips, he is always most concerned about what our plans are for meals because he knows me well enough to know that burgers, pizza, and chicken just won’t cut it for me! ? I always have a plan to try something new!
And it’s not just on trips he has to worry …. I have a list of local joints I want to try, too!!
There’s an Indian restaurant that I’ve been dying to try here locally and I finally convinced Brian to give it a try – and wouldn’t you know (like almost every other time he thinks he won’t like something), he was pleasantly surprised! He liked it!
One of my favorite Indian dishes is Chicken Tikka Masala – I’m hungry again just thinking about it! I love making it in the slow cooker because it comes out so tender and flavorful – and it’s pretty much fuss-free.
We usually serve it with Basmati rice, spicy peas, and naan bread. It’s a dish the entire family loves – even Brian and Abby! It’s picky-eater approved! ?
- 3 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 28 oz. petite-diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Cooked Basmati rice, for serving
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- In a slow cooker, add chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, garam masala, paprika, cumin, salt, and tomatoes. Stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours (high for 3-4 hours), or until the chicken is cooked through.
- 30 minutes before serving, stir in the heavy cream, continuing to cook the remaining 30 minutes with the lid off.
- Serve with cooked rice and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 190mgSodium: 646mgFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 35g