This Sausage Bread might be the most versatile recipe in your recipe box! It’s perfect as an appetizer or a weeknight dinner recipe. You can even serve it on game day or take it along on picnics or potlucks!
Table of contents
Crumbled sausage and cheese, cooked inside pizza dough, equals Sausage Bread, y’all!
With how versatile this Sausage Bread recipe is, you’ll always have a simple and easy recipe on hand for all sorts of occasions – and the ingredients can easily be changed up to whatever you have on hand or whatever you feel like eating.
One of the things I love most about this recipe is how versatile it is! I can almost guarantee that wherever you serve it, it won’t last long – so you might want to make two loaves! (I’m speaking from experience here.)
It’s also easy to add ingredients to make this even more filling! Sometimes, we like to add green bell peppers, onion, and mushrooms that have been sauteed in butter. Other times, we add pizza sauce – it’s a great change on pizza night! Tuck in some pepperoni instead of sausage for a new twist. Or add sausage AND pepperoni. I’m not judging. 🤩
This is a recipe you are going to want to save. I find myself coming back to make this time and time again! I hope you and your loved ones enjoy it!
Sausage Bread: Ingredients & Equipment
For this Sausage Bread recipe, you will need …
- ground sausage – you’ll need about a pound.
- pizza dough – the premade refrigerated kind you get from the tubes at the store. Whichever brand you like!
- mozzarella cheese – shredded to go along with your ground sausage inside the bread. If possible, I always recommend shredding your mozzarella, as the packaged kind sometimes doesn’t melt right due to preservatives. But it won’t ruin your bread if you have to use the packaged kind, so don’t fret!!
- large egg – beaten for brushing on top of the dough. That way, your bread cooks up a lovely golden brown.
- baking sheet – sprayed with cooking spray.
How to make Sausage Bread
First, prepare your supplies. Preheat your oven to 350°F, then spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set it aside.
Second, cook your sausage. Crumble and brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat until it’s no longer pink. Drain if desired!
Third, prep your bread. Open the tube of pizza dough onto the prepared baking sheet and straighten the edges into a rectangle. Sprinkle cooked sausage and Mozzarella cheese over the dough, leaving about 1 inch open along the edges. Roll up the dough jelly-roll or cinnamon roll style, crimping the seam closed and sealing and tucking the ends under. (Make sure the bread is seam-side down on the baking sheet!!) Finally, brush the loaf with a beaten egg.
Finally, bake your sausage bread. Bake the dough in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden and the bread is cooked through. Allow loaf to rest 10 minutes before slicing, then enjoy!
Sausage Bread: FAQs
It’s done in less than an hour! You’ll need 10 minutes of prep time and 30-35 minutes of cooking time.
This should make enough for eight servings or so.
Any kind of “crumble” sausage you like! Personally, I use Jimmy Dean or Johnsonville. I’ve made this with the regular Jimmy Dean pork sausage rolls and the hot Jimmy Dean pork sausage rolls. I also use Johnsonville Italian sausage, not in the casings. It just depends on our mood, what I have on hand, and what might be on sale!
I think any kind of sausage that “crumbles” is best for this bread, although you can experiment with diced sausage (kielbasa, smoked sausage, or other ring-type sausages) if you prefer. I’ve never tried it that way, but I imagine it would work fine.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 tube (13.8 oz.) refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 cups (16 oz.) Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 large egg, beaten, for brushing on top of loaf
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Crumble and brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat, until no longer pink. Drain, if desired.
- Open the tube of pizza dough onto the prepared baking sheet and straighten the edges into a rectangle. Sprinkle cooked sausage and Mozzarella cheese over the dough, leaving about 1-inch open along the edges. Roll up the dough jelly-roll or cinnamon-roll style, crimping the seam closed and sealing and tucking the ends under. Make sure the bread is seam-side down on the baking sheet. Brush the loaf with beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the bread is cooked through. Allow loaf to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- See notes in the post for possible recipe variations.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 537mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.
Originally published on April 10, 2018. Updated on February 20, 2023.