Have y’all seen all of the Red Velvet recipes in bloggy-land lately?! They are everywhere …. and I’m adding one more with my Red Velvet Cupcakes with OREO Cream Cheese Frosting.
This is an easy from-scratch cake! If you can measure, stir and bake, then you can make these delicious little gems!
For the cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. LorAnn Oils Emulsion, Red Velvet
- 1 tsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) Challenge Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 12 Oreo's, coarsely crushed
- Additional Oreo's, for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 regular-size muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the dry cupcake ingredients. Stir with a whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the wet cupcake ingredients with an electric mixer. Stop the mixer and add half of the dry ingredients into the wet. Mix to combine. Add the remaining dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into the cupcake papers, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until cupcakes test done when a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool in pan for about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
To prepare the frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and beat until thoroughly combined. Add the Oreo's and mix well. The frosting should be light and fluffy.
- Top the cupcakes with the frosting. If desired, cut additional Oreo's in half and garnish cupcakes.
**Note: I found this to be enough frosting for my family and our tastes .... if you like a lot of frosting, you may want to double the frosting part! 🙂
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 197mgFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 3g
Other Posts You May Enjoy: