I’m sure you have noticed, I really enjoy soup! I really could eat it in one form or another every.single.day! This recipe is a good way to use your garden’s bounty or your farmers market finds! You may substitute fresh tomatoes or spinach if you desire. Use this as a guideline, substituting what you have on hand or what your family prefers!
- Olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 64 oz. chicken broth
- 28 oz. tomato sauce
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained
- 15 oz. pinto beans
- 15 oz. dark red kidney beans
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup seashell pasta
- 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Parmesan cheese, for serving, if desired
- In a large soup pot, add a few swirls of olive oil and heat over med-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and tomatoes. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Add the beans, zucchini, oregano, basil, salt and pepper; reduce heat. Simmer for approximately one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and pasta. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked through.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 529Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 1357mgFiber: 19gSugar: 13gProtein: 28g