Reminiscent of the snack cake, this Honey Bun Cake is a yellow cake mix that is doctored up with a few ingredients – including a delicious cinnamon-nut layer!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Honey Bun Cake
If you’ve ever had those Honey Bun Cakes that you find in the snack cake section of the store, you can just imagine how awesome it would be in a much bigger form! My oldest son, Elijah, has a thing for those little snack cakes. He is the reason I have had this recipe in my recipe box for more than 15 years! I originally had this cake at a church breakfast and I just had to have the recipe. This cake totally nails the flavor!
This cake is so popular, that it seems everyone has a version of this cake – and if you don’t, you should! It’s always a hit! Seriously, always! You’ll see why I needed this recipe and you’ll be so glad you have it too!
How do you make a Honey Bun Cake?
This recipe starts off with a boxed yellow cake mix. You’ll add oil, eggs, and sour cream. Next, you’ll make the scrumptious filling – brown sugar, pecans, and cinnamon. Mmmmm! The glaze comes together quickly with powdered sugar, milk or water, and some vanilla.
Does Honey Bun Cake need to be refrigerated?
I do not refrigerate my Honey Bun Cake. I have at least 6 people (with two teenage boys) and nothing seems to last very long around my house. However, I would suggest that this cake be eaten within 2-3 days if it’s not refrigerated. If you do not plan on eating this within the 2-3 day timeframe, definitely refrigerate it.
Other Posts You May Enjoy
- 1 box (15.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 container 8 oz. sour cream
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 13x9 inch pan or use baking spray with flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, oil, eggs, and sour cream on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape bowl and mix for an additional 1-2 minutes or until thoroughly combined.
- Spread half of the batter into prepared pan.
- In a separate medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, pecans, and cinnamon. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over batter in pan.
- Drop remaining cake batter by dollops over the brown sugar mixture. Carefully spread the batter to evenly cover the brown sugar mixture completely.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- When the cake has finished baking, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, stir powdered sugar, milk and vanilla together until thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle the glaze over top of the cake.
- Store covered.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18-24 Serving Size: 1 square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 234mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g