Try these citrus marinated Grilled Chicken Fresco Tacos for dinner tonight! Served with a spoonful of Pico de Gallo helps keep them light on calories and fat, but BIG on flavor!
Most of you know that tacos rank really, really, really high on my list of favorite foods. What you may not know about me, (maybe you have your suspicions – I am a food blogger after all), is that we rarely have the exact same dinner twice. Although we’ve eaten plenty of chicken tacos, I have a bazillion ways to make them … each slightly different from each other and each perfectly delicious in their own right.
For instance, this recipe for Grilled Chicken Fresco Tacos might have the citrus marinated chicken, lettuce, cheese and tomatoes on another night. A few weeks later, I may add some chipotle to the marinade for a slightly different taste … or I may use a citrusy slaw in place of the Pico de Gallo with a creamy avocado dressing. I can honestly tell you that if you ate at my house, it would be hard to guess what you might get – especially if I tell you we are having tacos! I truly believe that tacos are one of the world’s most versatile foods and boy, do I love ’em!
I live in Phoenix and by now, I don’t have to tell y’all how hot it is. It’s hot, y’all. I try to do as little cooking inside as I can which means, we rely on our trusty grill a lot during the warmer months! The great thing about this recipe is I can put the chicken in the marinade first thing in the morning and it’s super quick to cook them right before dinner! The Pico de Gallo requires no cooking and I can make it early in the day. I love the burst of flavors on these tacos! On busy nights like this, I love that dinner was so easy, fresh and delicious!
For the chicken and marinade
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
For the tacos
- 12 flour tortillas, warmed
- Pico de Gallo (click link for my homemade version)
- Lime wedges for serving, if desired
- In a large glass bowl, mix the cider vinegar, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Place chicken in the mixture. Cover, and marinate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the prepared grill, and cook 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear. Discard marinade.
Chop or shred chicken and divide the chicken between the flour tortillas. Top each taco with a spoonful of Pico de Gallo. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 576Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 771mgFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 28g
Tacos are one of my most favorite weeknight meals because of how easy they are to make. What is one of your favorite meals on hectic nights?
Other Posts You May Enjoy: