Frito Pie is one of those meals that makes a pound of hamburger stretch!! Seriously, it’ll feed 8 people with this recipe! Enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
This recipe is something relatively new to me ….. I never had it growing up. At least, not to my knowledge. Actually, I can probably count on one, maybe two hands, the number of times I have ever eaten it in my entire life. This is one of those meals that makes a pound of hamburger stretch!! Seriously, it’ll feed 8 people with this recipe! Enjoy!
Other recipes you may enjoy
Frito Pie is something relatively new to me ..... I never had it growing up. At least, not to my knowledge. Actually, I can probably count on one, maybe two hands, the number of times I have ever eaten it in my entire life. This is one of those meals that makes a pound of hamburger stretch!! Seriously, it'll feed 8 people with this recipe! Enjoy!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 packet (1.25 oz.) taco seasoning - or try my homemade version!
- 1 can (2.25 oz) sliced black olives, drained
- 1 can (8 oz.) refrigerated crescent roll dough
- Approximately 2 cups of coarsely crushed Fritos chips, divided
- 1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Optional toppings: Sour cream, salsa
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook and crumble the beef with the onion until meat is no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Stir in the tomato sauce, taco seasoning and black olives.
- Unroll the crescent dough into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish, making sure to seal the seams. Sprinkle about half of the Fritos over the dough. Top with the meat mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and the green chilies. Spread evenly over the top of the meat mixture. Evenly top with the remaining Fritos and then the cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until the crust is cooked and the pie is heated through. Serve with additional sour cream or salsa if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 401Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 875mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g
Originally published on June 17, 2013.
Love Frito Pie!!
Fantastic recipe, I don't think I have ever had a frito pie…I feel like I'm missing out on life now! Definitely a good mexican night dinner party 🙂
Happy Valley Chow
I grew up eating Frito Pie, in my tiny Texas home town. There was only 1 "fast food" place in town. Mrs. Reed would cut a small package of Fritos down the side, and top the Fritos with chili, cheese, and onion. Insert spoon and you were ready to go! Handy and convenient! I also love it baked, but we do always use chili (prepared or homemade) and it has no crust at all. This recipe does sound great though! Just wanted to share my little story lol.
cooking with curls
I have never even heard of Frito Pie!!! I feel so deprived. It looks delicious 🙂
Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads
I've never had Frito Pie! Sounds so good!
Oh my wow this looks so good, can't wait to give it a go!
Amallia Eka Widyastuti
Looks delicious…nice post, love your blog:-)
I tried my first frito pie when we lived in TX… Been craving it ever since! Yum!
Thanks for coming over to the potluck!
Wanda Ann Olsen
I have 5 children, so making a pound of hamburger stretch is nice! I just might make this for dinner tomorrow night! Thanks for visiting my moms party!
This looks amazing! Might have to make it this week!
Frito Pie, one of my all time favorites! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great weekend and come back soon!
I've never had it either, but know my kids would love it. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday.
Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
Your frito pie looks delicious. Thanks so much for sharing with Adorned From Above's Blog Hop. The party will be back this week starting Tuesday and 8:00PM mountain time. We can't wait to see what you have to share this week.
Have a great week.
Debi and Charly