Fiesta Chicken and Rice makes a great recipe for dinner. Are you looking for a simple and drama-free supper option? You will like this!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Fiesta Chicken and Rice
Sometimes, you just need an easy, fuss-free meal. We don’t get delivery out where we live, so picking up the phone and ordering a pizza or something, is not an option. I have to keep stuff on hand for those times when things get crazy ….. or to tell ya the truth, I just “don’t feel like cooking”. Believe it or not, it happens to us food bloggers too! Life happens.
Sure, I could feed my family cereal for supper. Been there, done that. I’ve given them Ramen Noodles …. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Tomato Soup … Tuna Sandwiches … because those tend to be my default “meals”. I always have that stuff on hand. Not very inspiring, huh? Not very healthy either.
I am trying to make a better effort to use my crock pot …. and really, why shouldn’t I?! It practically does everything for me! Just throw everything in and let it do it’s thing. Ok, sometimes you have to do a little chopping …… however, this Fiesta Chicken and Rice couldn’t be easier. No chopping! It’s a great meal for those times when you don’t really wanna cook … or for when you do! 🙂
Not only is this great over rice, but you can use it in tortillas also! Sometimes, I also like to add a can of drained corn or hominy to the mix.
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (16 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 oz.) salsa, as hot or as mild as you like
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, cubed
- Cooked rice
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add the black beans and salsa. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours or until the chicken shreds easily with a fork. About 30 minutes to an hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Place back into the slow cooker. Add the cream cheese. Cover and continue to cook until the cream cheese has melted - about 30 minutes. Mix well.
- Serve over rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 826mgFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 33g
Originally published on May 27, 2013. Updated on April 23, 2021.