Skip the blue box and make this Creamy Stovetop Mac & Cheese instead. Simple, quick, and full of cheesy deliciousness – it’ll become a family favorite!
Creamy Mac and Cheese
You guys …. Christmas is just a few days away!! Are you ready? I’m actually ahead of the game this year – everything is bought and wrapped – which is kind of rare. I’m looking forward to spending the long weekend with my family, and you can bet, as with any gathering, there will be tons of food!
Do you have any Christmas of Christmas Eve traditions? Our family has a Christmas Eve (day) tradition of binge-watching all of our favorite holiday movies while eating cookies, popcorn, and theater box candy. Some of our favorite movies include National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Elf, It’s a Wonderful Life, and Home Alone. We love coming up with a dinner idea from one of the movies we’re watching and this year, I decided Home Alone would get its own recipe.
“Kevin McCallister: Bless this highly nutritious microwavable macaroni and cheese dinner and the people who sold it on sale. Amen.”– from the movie Home Alone.
In honor of Kevin McCallister from Home Alone, I decided to give him a better mac and cheese recipe – and this Creamy Stovetop Mac & Cheese fits the bill! I assure you this is way better than anything you’re going to get in any box. My family goes crazy for this stuff! Each creamy, cheesy bite elicits many “Mmm’s” from the family!
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups milk
- 24 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces deli American cheese slices, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour until completely smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Continue to cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add the cheese, a handful at a time, whisking well after each addition making sure the cheese is melted before adding more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the elbow macaroni into the cheese sauce until all of the macaroni is well-coated. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 868Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 892mgFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 39g