These colorful Cranberry Orange Christmas Sandies are a welcome treat during the Holidays. Kids, and adults a like love them!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Cranberry Orange Christmas Sandies
I recently shared this over at Mandatory Mooch. I’m re-sharing it here in case you missed it over at Nichi’s place.
I’m not much of a cookie baker – except at Christmas time! I don’t know what it is about the season that motivates me to actually want to bake cookies?! Since I am an equal opportunity cookie eater, I don’t discriminate and I don’t have deep seeded trust issues from thinking raisins were chocolate chips …. Soft, chewy, crispy, fluffy, frosted, unfrosted, sprinkled or not – I love ’em all. However, I hate standing over them, waiting and watching …. switching out the batches every so many minutes.
I hate to admit, but I don’t have the patience. Patience is not one of my virtues. This time of year, it’s easier to throw all of that impatience out the window and actually enjoy baking cookies.
When you have cookies as awesome as these Cranberry Orange Christmas Sandies, it’s worth waiting and watching. Kids love them … adults love them. They are very similar to Pecan Sandies – but get kicked up with some fruit and nonpareils. Wouldn’t these look great on a Christmas cookie tray?! They are light and buttery, like a sandy should be – with a hint of fruitiness. They make great gifts for neighbors, teachers, co-workers ….. or just keep them all for yourself. No one will judge! 😉
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
- White, green and red nonpareils
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar. Mix with mixer until well combined, stopping the machine once to scrape the sides. Add vanilla and flour. Mix until well combined. Add the cranberries and orange peel.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls and roll in nonpareils. Arrange 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned. Immediately transfer from the pan to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
Note - To keep cookies fresh, store in a covered container.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 88Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 1mgFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
Originally published on December 21, 2012. Updated on April 22, 2021.