Slow Cooker Cheese Stuffed Turkey Meatballs with Zoodles is an easy and healthy meal that you don’t have to feel guilty about!
Welcome to #EatHealthy16 where over 30 bloggers are coming together to share recipes to help you with your start 2016 off on the right track with food that is nutritious and delicious. Brianne of Cupcakes & Kale Chips will have healthy snacks, Jamie of Love Bakes Good Cakes will have healthy meals, and Jenny of The Melrose Family will have healthy desserts, so make sure you follow the #EatHealthy16 hashtag throughout the month of January for tons of inspiration!
We are also excited to be giving all of our readers a chance to win a Blendtec 725 blender and Twister Jar, an over $750 value. Be sure to head over to Persnickety Plates to enter! You have through February 5, 2016, to enter. Giveaway is open to U.S. residents 18 years of age and older. Winner must respond via email with a valid shipping address within 48 hours of being contacted or another winner will be selected. Good luck!
Disclaimer: Blendtec provided blenders for the giveaway and the three hostesses for review purposes. No other compensation was received, and, as always, all opinions are my own.
Today, I am welcoming Melissa from Persnickety Plates to share a recipe for #EatHealthy16. After you grab the recipe, be sure to head over to her blog and enter the awesome Blendtec giveaway for a chance to win! 🙂
Hi! I’m Melissa from Persnickety Plates and I’m so excited to be here today! Love Bakes Good Cakes has been a must read for me for years – I love Jamie and her recipes. If we haven’t met, I live in Metro Detroit with my husband and toddler. Life has been busier than ever lately so I post simple recipes with easy to find ingredients. I especially love to bake so I try to behave with my dinners so I can indulge on desserts.
These turkey meatballs were actually my husband’s brainchild. He made them a couple months ago and I asked him to help me recreate them to share with you. They’re easy to prep and we all loved them. Having dinner cooking away in the slow cooker while I’m at work is a great feeling. I just had to come home and whip up the zoodles, which are really easy, and dinner was ready. My kind of meal.
We stuffed the meatballs with mozzarella cheese sticks, which we always have on hand for my daughter (she’s almost 2 and a big fan of cheese). You could skip it to make these even healthier but they’re a fun surprise in the middle.
For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs (I used Italian seasoned)
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 mozzarella cheese sticks (cut stick cut into 5 pieces - about 1
- 24-32 oz. pasta sauce
For the zoodles
- 2 zucchini sliced (I use a Veggetti to make the
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- olive oil
To make the meatballs:
- In a large bowl, add the ground turkey, beaten eggs, chopped onion, Parmesan, panko, Lawry's, and pepper and mix well. I used a spatula but it may be faster to use your hands.
- Pour approximately half of the sauce into the bottom of the slow cooker pot.
- Use your hands to scoop the meat mixture into golf ball size balls. Slightly flatten with the palms of your hands, tuck in a piece of cheese, then form the meat into a ball. Place into the sauce. Repeat until all the meat is used up - this batch made 17 meatballs for us.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Right before you're ready to serve, you can sprinkle on some shredded cheese, replace the cover, and let it melt.
To make the zoodles:
- Use a Veggetti (or slicer or spiralizer) to make zucchini "noodles".
- Place them into a bowl that's lined with pepper towel. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for about 30 minutes to lose some moisture.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat and add some olive oil to the pan. Add in the zoodles and garlic and season with salt & pepper. Saute until tender.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 605Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 197mgSodium: 1364mgFiber: 6gSugar: 15gProtein: 43g
I hope you like them! Thanks for having me, Jamie! Come visit me at Persnickety Plates for more eats & treats =)
Other Posts You May Enjoy: