For the cake
- 1 box (15.25 oz.) white cake mix (also eggs, oil, and water called for on the box)
For the filling:
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 pkg. (3 oz.) red jello (any flavor)
- 1 pkg (3 oz.) blue jello (any flavor)
- 1 cup of cold water, divided
For the topping
- 1 tub (8 oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Patriotic colored sprinkles or fresh fruit
- Prepare and bake the cake according to package directions, using a 13x9-in. cake pan. Let it cool completely. Using the handle of a wooden spoon pokes holes in the cake every 1/2-in to 1-in.
- Empty the red jello package into a medium-sized bowl and add 3/4 cup of boiling water. Stir briskly for 2 minutes or until the jello is dissolved. Add 1/2 cup cold water and stir. Using a spoon or ladle, carefully fill every other hole with the jello mixture before it cools and sets. Repeat the process with the blue jello, filling the empty holes with the second color. Place the cake in the refrigerator for 4 hours or until the jello is set.
- After the jello is set, top the cake with whipped topping. Top with sprinkles or fruit, if desired.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Want an easier way to fill the poked holes? Try filling the holes with a child's medicine syringe!
- Arrange strawberry slices and blueberries in a flag pattern for an extra fun and patriotic dessert.
If you prefer frosting over the whipped topping:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. milk
- food coloring, if desired
Cream butter and vanilla with an electric mixer. Add the powdered sugar and 3 tbsp. milk. Beat with an electric mixer until well combined and fluffy. Add food coloring and beat well. Add more food coloring if more color is desired. If necessary, add 1 tbsp. milk to the frosting if it needs to be thinned out.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 265mgFiber: 0gSugar: 56gProtein: 2g