For the cake
- 1 box (18 oz.) white cake mix (also eggs, oil and water called for on the box)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 pkg. (3 oz. each) red jello (any flavor)
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. milk
- blue food coloring, (I prefer the 1 oz. bottle made by Wilton)
- Patriotic colored sprinkles
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a 13x9-in. cake pan. Let cool. Using a meat fork or the handle of a wooden spoon, pokes holes in the cake every 1/2-in to 1-in.
- Empty the jello packages into a medium-sized bowl and add the boiling water. Stir briskly for 2 minutes or until the jello is dissolved. Evenly pour over the poked cake. Place in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours or until jello is set.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. Cream butter and the vanilla with an electric mixer. Add the powdered sugar and 3 tbsp. milk. Beat with an electric mixer until well combined and fluffy. Add a small amount of blue food coloring, beat well. Add more food coloring if more color is desired. If necessary, add 1 tbsp. milk to the frosting if it needs thinned out.
- After jello is set, top cake with frosting. Top with sprinkles.
- Store in refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 265mgFiber: 0gSugar: 56gProtein: 2g