Macaroni Salad is the perfect side dish for summer! This recipe is the perfect choice for your next potluck, picnic, or cookout.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Macaroni Salad recipe
I have to admit; when I was younger, I was not too fond of any kind of macaroni salad, potato salad, or coleslaw. Weird, I know. Man, oh, man, I had no idea what I was missing! In my much wiser adult years, I enjoy these salads, especially in the summer. There’s just something about a cold salad on a hot day.
When it comes to summer salads, I have my preferences. Doesn’t everyone? This macaroni salad is a little on the sweet and tangy side. It’s perfect and addictingly delicious!
This macaroni salad is on our menu quite a lot in the summer. I swear, I could eat just the dressing by the spoonfuls. It’s just that good! This is a nice salad for potlucks, baby showers, church functions, reunions, and every event you can think of.
What to serve with Macaroni Salad
We especially love to serve this dish with hot dogs and hamburgers. Serving it with any smoked or grilled meat is another great option. Sometimes, we also serve this recipe with a sandwich for a quick and easy dinner. It’s a must when we make Loco Moco.
Any time we host a potluck or cookout, this dish makes an appearance. It’s also great to take along when you need a dish to feed a crowd.
Macaroni Salad FAQs
Stored in the fridge in an airtight container, it’s good for up to 5 days.
Personally, I would not. Mayonnaise has a tendency to want to separate or become oily after freezing and thawing.
You will get approximately 8 servings per pound of pasta. Depending on how much you think people will eat, or how many leftovers you want (or don’t), you can use this measurement as a good starting point.
- Quickly chill the pasta and stop the cooking process – After draining the pasta, run cold water over it while still in the colander until it’s cool. You may need to use your clean hand or give it a couple of good shakes to get to the bottom.
- Some people like pickles or hard-boiled eggs in their Macaroni Salad – feel free to add those if you like it that way.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 16 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 carrots, shredded and roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Rinse the pasta under cold water to cool and stop the cooking process and drain.
- In a large bowl, stir together the carrots, red onion, green pepper, red pepper, and celery. Mix in the mayonnaise, sweetened condensed milk, sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked macaroni and toss gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Serve cold.
- Quickly chill the pasta and stop the cooking process - After draining the pasta, run cold water over it while still in the colander until it's cool. You may need to use your clean hand or give it a couple of good shakes to get to the bottom.
- Some people like pickles or hard-boiled eggs in their Macaroni Salad - feel free to add those if you like it that way.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Cutting Board Set, 15-Inch by 20-Inch by 1/2-Inch, Assorted Colors
Contemporary Self-sharpening 20-piece Knife Block Set
Serving Bowl with Lid, Extra Large Bowl for Salad, Snacks, Dough Kneading, Durable Plastic Mixing Bowl with Tight Lid, Vibrant Party Decor, Random Colors (1 Container)
Stainless Steel 5-Quart Colander
12-Quart Classic Stainless Steel Stockpot with Lid
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 212mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary greatly between brands. Always be sure to read labels.
Originally published on March 27, 2012. Updated on June 1, 2021.